CLI-42 cleaning fluid

Ray Westfield

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon pro 100 S
Have been using WINDEX but its not cheap. Think I read on here somewhere that LIDL W5 glass and window cleaner is the same? Can anyone verify? This stuff is only 75p as against 7.99 on Amazon.
IMG_1062.jpg

kdsdata

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100 & Brother-L8900
I would be leery to use something other than Windex with no additive. We know it works, and it works perfectly.

The bottle in the photo shows "with Vinegar". I don't know what Vinegar does, but it's already an additive. Don't forget Vinegar is not Ammonia.

When you work with Windex which is Ammonia based, you know that it flushes perfectly with water. There is no smell left.

When you wash with Vinegar there appear to be traces left on a surface because you can always smell the Vinegar after the drying. Water does not appear to clean away the Vinegar completely. I dare say there would be traces of Vinegar in the cart sponge after a rinse with water.

I also dare say that Amazon may be the wrong place to buy cheap Windex. I would say that you could find much less expensive Windex without additives in your local store (I am making an assumption that you live in a location with local stores; if not, my apologies).

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Common vinegar was(and is ?) widely used for window cleaning as a cheap alternative to commercial products. Anyway, if that W5 contains vinegar then it’s an acid fluid (pH< 7 ) the absolute opposite of ammonia which is alkaline/basic (ph >7). Therefore the cleaning effects, if any, will have nothing to do whatsoever with classic Windex or ammonia based cleaners.
I’d stay away from this product, unless someone finds out that weak solutions of acetic acid are good for nozzle cleaning. For one thing, it might be a bit corrosive on some metals, if exposed for several hours, but so it’s ammonia.
In my neck of the woods you’ll have no trouble finding regular ammonia without additives at most supermarkets or drugstores. Usually it comes on concentrations of less than 5%. For inkjet cleaning purposes I dilute to 2% or less, which shouldn't be strong enough to attack the metal parts of the printhead and the smell is quite bearable.

Ray Westfield

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon pro 100 S
Thanks guys I knew some one would know.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Ray Westfield, Let’s see if we can put the record right, Ammonia is not good (Even diluted) for any print head, ½ an hour tops is all it should be used for, but W5 is safe to use for days and does no hard, even if it is suppose to leave a smell afterwards..

Take this from someone who’s been using it for years, and who also uses Fairy liquid, but if you still have your doughs then I’d recommend pharmacist formula as the best solution to use for most things’ inkjet related...
P.S. Windex can be got at Halfords...

Ray Westfield

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon pro 100 S
Totally confused now. Will have to go and lie down in a darkened room
Looked at Halfords web site couldn’t find windex, not in the uk at least.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3

Ricardo Quindere

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PRO-100; HP 7500A
The Pharmacist has 4 formulas as I known:
1. Sponge Cartridge Conditioning Solution: 77% Distilled Water; 20% Isopropyl alcohol, 3% Propylene Glycol
2. Printhead Cleaning Solution: 100ml of the above Sponge Conditioning + 0,25ml of concentrated Ammonia (25%~33%)
3. Printhead Soaking Solution: 100ml of the above Sponge Conditioning + 1ml of concentrated Ammonia (25%~33%)
4. Print Head Preservation Solution: 60% Distilled Water, 20% Isopropyl alcohol, 20% Propylene Glycol.

To flush cartridge, in special the yellow Cli-42 from the Canon Pro-100 use the 2 or 3 formulas that have ammonia to prevent the jelly factor.
In my country (Brazil) I can not buy concentrated ammonia (25%˜33%) I can only buy an ammonia solution of 5%~5,8%, I just use the rule of three to adjust the formula.

25ml = 0,25(25%)
x = 0,058(5.8%) ............... x=5,8ml so the formula becomes 100ml of the sponge conditioning + 5,8ml of ammonia solution.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
One "active" ingredient in Origional Windex is Ammonium Hydroxide. Original Windex has a pH of about 10.7 (at 25 degrees C). There's more to Original Windex...

Here's EVERYTHING that's "in it":

Windex® Commercial Glass Cleaner (Original Windex)
Ingredients
  • Water
Provides a liquid base for a product.

• 2-Hexoxyethanol Cleaning Agent
2-hexoxyethanol is a cleaning agent, or "surfactant," that we use in our products to remove dirt and deposits. It does this by surrounding dirt particles to loosen them from the surface they're attached to, so they can be rinsed away.

• Isopropanolamine Cleaning Agent
Isopropanolamine is a solvent cleaning agent that can also be found in household cleaners and some cosmetic products. It works by dissolving the residue that remains on household surfaces such as oils and soaps.

• Ammonium Hydroxide Cleaning Agent
Ammonium hydroxide is commonly referred to as "ammonia." Many consumers use it at home for cleaning and laundry. It’s a cleaning agent, or "surfactant," that removes dirt, and it can also be used as a pH adjuster that alters the pH of a product to improve stability. Every formula has an optimum pH to make it work best. For example, a formula that’s more acidic works better for soap scum removal. Its opposite, a formula that’s more alkaline, might be more effective at removing grease or greasy soils. We use pH adjusters to make sure we achieve the best pH for a particular job. Also, the pH of a formula can affect how long it lasts within a container – for example limiting its tendency to corrode a can, container or dispenser. Household ammonia has a strong odor; by using ammonium hydroxide in combination with other ingredients, we can achieve the same cleaning results while using much less ammonia.

• Lauryl Dimethyl Amine Oxide Wetting Agent
Lauryl dimethyl amine oxide is a cleaning agent, or "surfactant," that can also be found in a variety of products including shampoos and dishwashing detergents. We use it in our products to remove dirt and deposits by surrounding dirt particles to loosen them from the surface they're attached to, so they can be rinsed away.

• Sodium Dodecylbenzene Sulfonate Wetting Agent
Sodium dodecylbenzene sulfonate is a cleaning agent, or "surfactant," that is one of a group of ingredients commonly used in bath products, cleansing products, shampoos and hair conditioners. We use it in our products to remove dirt and deposits. In its liquid form, as we use it, it surrounds dirt particles to loosen them from the surface to which they are attached.

• Fragrance
benzyl acetate; butylphenyl methylpropional*; c9-11 pareth-3; citronellol*; citrus aurantium dulcis (orange) peel oil*; dipropylene glycol; ethoxydiglycol; hexyl cinnamal*; linalool*; terpineol*

*Item on SC Johnson’s list of skin allergens,

• Liquitint® Sky Blue Dye Dye
Liquitint® Sky Blue Dye is a colorant, or dye. We add dyes to products for a variety of reasons including helping you see where you applied the product, when a product is used up, or for aesthetic reasons. Liquitint® is a trademark and product of Milliken & Company, which is responsible for its contents.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
The bottom line...the most active ingredient in any print head cleaner is..

WATER!

Water
is a very aggressive substance!
Particularly when very pure. It dissolves ROCK!

If you have a print head with greasy deposits, use Ammonium Hydroxide. If you have hard mineral deposits, use Vinegar.

ALWAYS final flush your work with distilled water and allow to dry.