Cleaning inkjet printer heads: which chemical to use ?

glprint

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hp OfficeJet Pro 8600
I've read several guides for cleaning inkjet printer heads and it is often suggested to use isopropyl alcohol instead of the normal and cheaper denatured alcohol, since the first is almost 100% pure and does not leave residues like the second.

I was wondering: is it really necessary to use isopropyl alcohol, or is there a substitute that works just as well and is easily found among household products ?

PS: I had trouble buying isopropyl alcohol on Amazon, as it is not shipped by air.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Yes ethyl alcohol not denatured as found in for instance vodka can be used, but if that is reasonable to use depends on the alcohol tax level in your country. Here is an alternative recipe using vodka. Not all denatured alcohol contains dissolved solids, but finding out what the alcohol contains might be difficult. See this post.

A window cleaner containing ammonia is also a good print head cleaner, but some window cleaners also contain dissolved solids, so check the MSDS. See this thread.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I've read several guides for cleaning inkjet printer heads and it is often suggested to use isopropyl alcohol instead of the normal and cheaper denatured alcohol, since the first is almost 100% pure and does not leave residues like the second.
Warm soapy water with a bit of W5 window cleaner in it, work wonders..
No alcohol required..

glprint

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hp OfficeJet Pro 8600
Yes ethyl alcohol not denatured as found in for instance vodka can be used, but if that is reasonable to use depends on the alcohol tax level in your country.
The price per liter of vodka is not competitive with isopropyl alcohol ...

A window cleaner containing ammonia is also a good print head cleaner, but some window cleaners also contain dissolved solids, so check the MSDS. See this thread.

Warm soapy water with a bit of W5 window cleaner in it, work wonders..
No alcohol required..
I think I'll use the W5 window cleaner/Window cleaner containing ammonia, without soapy water for now ...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I think I'll use the W5 window cleaner/Window cleaner containing ammonia, without soapy water for now ...
The warm soapy water is the Special Ingredient.. ;)
And I don’t reckon W5 has any ammonia..

glprint

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hp OfficeJet Pro 8600
The warm soapy water is the Special Ingredient.. ;)
And I don’t reckon W5 has any ammonia..
Ok, then I'll try W5 diluted with soapy water (but you have to tell me what percentage) and ... I will drink Vodka while cleaning the print heads :)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
(but you have to tell me what percentage)
You better soak the head before you tuck into the Vodka, just use 20% of W5, and a good squirt of Fairy.. Remember warm water, not hot.. ;)

Lotus26

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Cannon MX870
The problem with denatured alcohol is it is it can also acts as a solvent. Some paint strippers use denatured alcohol. And it is poisonous, and readily absorbed through the skin.

Isopropyl is “rubbing alcohol”, and is available through most drug stores (or chemist shops); it is usually found as 70% or 90% by volume. A normal container is quite cheap, and it will clean any number of heads.

“W5” what ever that is, appears to be a brand name, and without knowing what it is, or what other brands are similar, may be better ignored, unless the description of the product is included, along with where to buy it.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
“W5” what ever that is, appears to be a brand name, and without knowing what it is, or what other brands are similar, may be better ignored, unless the description of the product is included, along with where to buy it.
There's a thing called the Internet...

You joined the forum 3 years ago and not a peep since then until the Moderator comments about a European product. Were you stranded on Gilligan's Island? o_O

Edit:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
The problem with denatured alcohol is it is it can also acts as a solvent. Some paint strippers use denatured alcohol. And it is poisonous, and readily absorbed through the skin.

Isopropyl is “rubbing alcohol”, and is available through most drug stores (or chemist shops); it is usually found as 70% or 90% by volume. A normal container is quite cheap, and it will clean any number of heads.
@lotus26, your something else, denatured alcohol and Isopropyl alcohol are both poisonous, so why not point that out too.
“W5” what ever that is, appears to be a brand name, and without knowing what it is, or what other brands are similar, may be better ignored,
And as for the W5 (Window cleaner) that too if consumed can also be poisonous depending on how stupid one can be.

We provide the best advise here to everyone that won’t cause harm to them or their printers, and it’s provided free, that’s how this forum preforms.
All the info given is from good practical experience. Without gratuity from anyone..;)