Cleaning Carts

AlienSteve

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP 3000CP Epson 1280 4800 7600
The ammonia, once in the printer, will also aggressively attack metals.

It really does take barely any ammonia. The only reason I use 1 part in 10 is because I mix up a lot, and clean a lot of printers, and every time I open it more ammonia evaporates.

My cleaning/purge mixture in cartridges is half that mixture, half ink. Sometimes just a little of that mixture and the rest ink.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
ghwellsjr said:
I had tried to vacuum fill an empty Epson cartridge with straight ammonia and because I wasn't having much success, I left the ammonia in a glass which was inside the plastic jar I use as my vacuum chamber. I left the cover on the plastic jar. A few days later I was horrified to see that the plastic on the inside of the jar was melting from the fumes of the ammonia and it was all gooey. Before this happened, I could see into this jar but now it's all frosted. From now on, I am just going to use Windex.
There's a happy ending to my story about the ammonia fumes melting the inside of my plastic vacuum jar. I decided to take it outside and see if it would still hold a vacuum without imploding and some of the oil from the vacuum pump got sucked back inside the vacuum jar. So I placed it in the kitchen sink and soaked it with an organic cleanser to clean up the oil. Several hours later, I discovered most of the mess from the ammonia fumes was also cleaned up. After a few more applications, the plastic vacuum jar is completely restored. It appears that the mess actually came from the white plastic cover. Apparently the ammonia fumes melted a thin layer off the cover which deposited on the inside of the clear plastic vacuum jar.

Still, I'm not ever going to use ammonia--diluted or not--around my printers; Windex with ammonia is good enough for me.

OoIaT

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
I have made my own cleaning carts using any empty carts I have available and filling them with straight ammonia which was recommended by the following site: [WARNING: don't use straight ammonia--just use Windex--read the rest of these posts for more information.]

http://www.outofinkandtoner.com.au/articles/article37.htm
Glad some of these articles are coming in handy for people, I was begnning to wonder how much they got read!!