Cleaning and removing the ink heads on Canon !960

Dconley

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have some questions to ask about cleaning the inkhead on my canon !960. Thanks to an earlier post, I understand it better but have some questions. After taking the head out, I can unscrew the 2 screws and take off the piece for easier cleaning but what about that green electrical board? If I can get those nubs off, Is it easy to put that board back in place? What is under it? What if I get it wet? And do I take the plastic plugs out of that other piece? I just don't know what is ok to take off the print head and what can get wet. Thanks so much to anyone who can help.

My printer isn't functioning correctly and for some reason, which I hope is a clog, isn't releasing some colors from the wells. I did take it apart and clean it but left that green board in place and those plugs. It did clear up the picture and I don't have vertical lines anymore but there are some colors missing from the picture. Obviously, I am an amatuer at this and need some help.

Thanks,

Debbie

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Dconley said:
I have some questions to ask about cleaning the inkhead on my canon !960. Thanks to an earlier post, I understand it better but have some questions. After taking the head out, I can unscrew the 2 screws and take off the piece for easier cleaning but what about that green electrical board? If I can get those nubs off, Is it easy to put that board back in place? What is under it? What if I get it wet? And do I take the plastic plugs out of that other piece? I just don't know what is ok to take off the print head and what can get wet. Thanks so much to anyone who can help.

My printer isn't functioning correctly and for some reason, which I hope is a clog, isn't releasing some colors from the wells. I did take it apart and clean it but left that green board in place and those plugs. It did clear up the picture and I don't have vertical lines anymore but there are some colors missing from the picture. Obviously, I am an amatuer at this and need some help.

Thanks,

Debbie
Please don't take the head apart.
If possible, post an image of the nozzle check or service print.
If the head was starved for ink I would think the nozzle check would change at each time, whereas a particular failure of one of the nozzles should show a consistent pattern.

Service settings can be taken at your own risk...capeesh?.

Canon i850, i950, S600
Start with the printer OFF
1. Hold down RESUME and then hold down POWER
2. release RESUME
3. press RESUME twice, then release POWER
4. Let green light blink until printer is done futzing
Select function with RESUME press POWER to execute:
presses - light color - function
Number of presses - light color - function
0 presses - green - Test print (or exit service mode on i960)
1 press - orange - EEPROM info print (plus grid nozzle diagnostic on i960)
2 presses - green - EEPROM initialize
3 presses - orange - Reset waste ink counter

Dconley

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice but my problem remains. The vertical lines are back and the color is messed up, the pictures will print but the color is off. I guess I may have to buy another photo printer. I don't know what else to try.

Debbie

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Debbie you need to try and use some fresh new cartridges which are known to be working properly.
First print a nozzle check under the maintenance tab or the i960 software.
Install the new carts ( OEM is the best choice but known good aftermarkets can be used)
print the nozzle check again.
If there is any improvement at all, then you have old or not properly working cartridge issues
To try and recover the printhead, try immersing and soaking the head in very hot water for at least an hour.
Flush the printhead under a column of very warm water for a few minutes.
Dry the electronic contact board area and try again with another nozzle check. If you're lucky, you'll be good. If not try another soak in some Windex and see what happens.

Dconley

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks, I will try that and keep my fingers crossed.....Love my canon photo printer and don't want to replace it, it does a wonderful job. I'll let you know what happens.
Debbie

Dconley

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Well. I tried it and the heads all worked except one after doing a deep clean. The photo magneta didn't show up when I did a nozzle check. So, I am going to try an overnight soak in windex and see what happens.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
If you have a partial blockage on the photomagenta, then when you flush the heads you should see some photomagenta come out the ink inlet ports on the bottom side. If you see this and get NO Nadda output at all, you might have a terminal head. Let's hope not. Soak that head again see what happens. Cross your fingers.

Let's hope you're not a victim of bad cartridge flow issues that eventually destroys your heads due to poorly performing cartridges for whatever reason. Do a search on flushing.

Also make sure that the contact sponge on the cartridge actually makes contact or is not pushed up.

Brazos

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank you for this thread. I've been nursing my i960 trying to keep it going. Posted about a month ago & received some great advice - it helped but the printer started getting worst the past few days. I removed the print head and soaked it in very hot water & then rinse - it's now working - test pattern looks great. I think I'm lucky for now - but with 32,000 pages (plain paper) on this printer it's probably just a matter of time.

Defcon2k

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
That's not bad. I think Canon says that their photo printers have a life expectancy of 10,000 pages and the all-around printers 20,000.

Brazos

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I just checked the EEPROM - I'm up to 32,591 nearly all of it on plain paper. I guess I'm getting my moneys worth with this printer. I curious how far it will go. This hot water cleaning worked great. I was surprised how much gunk was on the head - no wonder it was not working right. I might try the Windex - when it clogs up again. I changed to a better qualtiy of cartridge about a month ago & also ordered a better quality of refill ink/kit. My print quality is not up to what it was a couple of years ago ago but I'm not using Canon cartridges - been refilling with cheap ink the majority of all printing. Probably the next project will be to reset the wast in counter - I'm now at 85%. Man, I'm learning a lot on this forum. Thanks