Claeaning and storing cartridges

anon_private

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus SX100
Hi,

Couple of questions

For a stubborn blockage could one run warm water from the tap over the printhead, or could this damage the circuitry?

People have said that after refilling one should never put anthing over the printhead. Yet if I buy a cartridge it always has some tape over the printhead? What is the best way to store a refilled cartridge?

Thanks

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
What kind of cartridge are you asking about? We need to know the brand and model number.

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
anon_private said:
For a stubborn blockage could one run warm water from the tap over the printhead, or could this damage the circuitry?
Water is the enemy of electronics. Some members on this forum reported success in soaking in water or Windex etc. Unless you have a fool proof method of drying the printhead before putting it back to service, I would avoid it. You are running a risk of some water left behind.

anon_private

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus SX100
Thanks for the reponses.

Cartidges are Lexmark, Nos 4, 5, 31

If a little water is left behind on running under a warm tap surely on using the cartridge the ink would just flow and remove any remaining water. In addition, the ink contains substantial water. Would the action of a tap be likely to damage the electronics?

Good wishes

A

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
The ink that is inside the cartridge will not contact the electronics. If you put the entire cartridge under the tap and flood it with water, you're going to soak the electronics unless it is sealed on all sides and designed to be washed. But even if that were not a concern, I don't see how running water over the printhead will accomplish anything. You would need to get the water to flow through the printhead taking the same path the ink would take. It might be sufficient to let the nozzles of the printhead soak in a shallow pool of water.

I believe the tape that is covering the printhead does not have adhesive on it. You don't want to use a tape with adhesive but one designed specifically for putting on printheads. When you apply it, you should wet the surface of the tape with water.

anon_private

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus SX100
Thanks for the response.

I am buying a used no 31 which is advertised as empty.

I don't know anything about its history, so I plan to allow the printhead to soak in some warm water for say one hour, then refill the cartridge (it is colour), then place a tape over the printhead and store. For soaking, is ordinary tap water alright? You mention the nozzles, does this mean the area that is exposed at the surface, and can therefore respond to soaking?

Is the role of the tape simply to ensure that no grime enters to printhead?

As an alternative to tape, could I use clingfilm, it has no adhesive?

Thanks

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
anon_private said:
Thanks for the response.

I am buying a used no 31 which is advertised as empty.

I don't know anything about its history, so I plan to allow the printhead to soak in some warm water for say one hour, then refill the cartridge (it is colour), then place a tape over the printhead and store. For soaking, is ordinary tap water alright?
Many use tap water for flushing carts with good results. I have crappy, hard tap water and don't let it touch any of my carts or heads. I use distilled water.

You mention the nozzles, does this mean the area that is exposed at the surface, and can therefore respond to soaking?
With a cart that has an integral printhead like yours, the nozzles are in the area that you describe and may/should respond to soaking in a shallow bath. As a pre-test before installing, the newly refilled cart should be able to "blot" all colors onto a damp paper towel. Installing and running is the only real way to determine if the nozzles are clear.

Is the role of the tape simply to ensure that no grime enters to printhead?
I suppose, but in the larger scheme of things you want to keep the cart (head) from drying out during storage.

As an alternative to tape, could I use clingfilm, it has no adhesive?
This would probably work...I would feel better not having any adhesive on the the printhead...that's a given.
Commercial refillers of integral carts such as yours, use a silicone pad along with tape to seal the printhead:
http://www.inksupply.com/hp_print_head_protector.cfm
If I were refilling and storing integral carts, I would get some of these.

anon_private

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus SX100
Thanks for the response.

What do you think of this idea. Bear in mind that I do not know the history of the empty catridge.

After soaking the head, injecting say one ml of headcleaner (solvent) into each of LC, LM, and B, then leaving say for a few hours, then holding a damp cloth on the head to detect ink. If ink, then top up the cells. I realise that because I have added a little neat solvent that the print may be a little weaker, but I can live with that. My aim is to clear the ink pathway. Provided the circuitry is alright and no damage has been done internally then it should work. After all, a new cartridge must be empty and dry being being filled initially.

Best wishes.

A

Ps. when you mentioned tap water and flushing. Did you mean soaking?

I'll check out the link

A

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
anon_private said:
After soaking the head, injecting say one ml of headcleaner (solvent) into each of LC, LM, and B, then leaving say for a few hours, then holding a damp cloth on the head to detect ink. If ink, then top up the cells. I realise that because I have added a little neat solvent that the print may be a little weaker, but I can live with that. My aim is to clear the ink pathway. Provided the circuitry is alright and no damage has been done internally then it should work. After all, a new cartridge must be empty and dry being being filled initially.
"Blotting" is just a preliminary test. With an unknown cartridge, it would be prudent to test the cart with a small amount of ink installed to verify functionality before refilling completely. I would also want to flush out any cleaning solvent before storage.

Ps. when you mentioned tap water and flushing. Did you mean soaking?
My reference to tap water was that in my situation, I wouldn't let my crappy tap water touch my carts or heads in way, shape or form. It's loaded with minerals and who knows what else. Maybe I'm being retentive on this, but that's my position.
Some municipalities have wonderful soft water on tap that I'm sure would be perfectly fine for cart flushing/soaking what have you.

anon_private

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus SX100
How would you flush out solvent. Would you inject air into the cartridge and push the solvent out through the printhead?

best wishes.

A