City Ink Express - UK

tmierzwa

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I bought a "City Ink Express" CISS system. It took two weeks from date of order to delivery of the system. This was from the UK to the United States to New York. I have a Canon Mp160. I needed to make one modification , well actually two for the system to work properly. First I removed the top cover completely and secondly I had to cut the plastic on the left front side to allow the tubing free travel from left to the right side. The tubing went under the plastic on the right side without any problems. The printhead comes primed with some ink. I wasn't sure how to set it up but after reading their manual I finally replaced the plugs with their air filter plug. When I released the tubing lock the ink ran up its "tube" and into the printhead. There was some leakage at the printhead but I kept on wicking it up until it stopped, THEN installed the head(s) into the printer. I made a test run and was amazed at how easy it printed. I printed up a test pattern I made on windows "paint" - every color across its spectrum came out correctly. I printed up some photos and they were very clear. I know I would be needing more ink after a while and I had some large bottles of ink from "printing ink station" with their numbers on it. I checked and they were all dye based ink. The black is also dye based - I found this out after printing black on regular paper which had gotten wet and so the ink "ran." So now I am seeking a source for dye based black. Every site I look at has pigmented black which I can't use. I don't want to mix what was supplied. Is there anyplace stateside that I can get dye based black?

cuteguy258

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Once I mixed pigment black into dye black by mistake and there was no problem except the problem with printing photographs with pigment black. I waited for the tank to be empty before I again filled dye ink.