CISS unit Epson R380 air bubbles?

jayjay22

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi, I purchased a continuous ink supply system just under a year ago for my epson stylus photo r380. My printer just recently stopped pulling in paper so it had to be replaced under the warranty. I took the CISS cartridges out of the printer and left them sitting on my desk while I shipped the printer back and waited for the new one. When I received the new printer and was setting it up and reinstalling the CISS into it, the Light Magenta began leaking all over the desk. There was a large pool of magenta all over the desk. It was fine sitting there for 5 days, I think what made it leak was that the cartridge fell over while I was setting everything up. Once I got it wiped off and all cartridges installed into the printer, I was unable to get the light magenta to prime properly. I get a perfect nozzle check out of all but the light magenta, which I get almost nothing out of. I have allowed the printer to sit overnight several times and done many many cleaning cycles. The light magenta never improves. It is as if it has lost the prime and is unable to feed ink now.
I am fairly certain there is just a ton of air bubbles inside the cartridge and it needs reprimed. At this point I have:
1) Removed and reinserted the cartridge
2) taken off the nub at the top where the ink feeds into the cartridge and blown out all the ink/air from the cartridge (after which it does not have an easy time of pulling the ink back into the cartridge by priming, I had to put a syringe on the breather hole at the top of the LM ink tank and force the ink through. I do not think that the ink has properly filled the cartridge.

Basically I need to know what you recommend to hopefully get this cartridge to print again. I would appreciate any help I can get.

Also, can someone tell me if there a decent refillable cartridges out there for the Epson 78's? If I am unable to get this CISS printing again I may consider purchasing a good set of refillables for this printer. Please note I am looking for people who have experience with epson refillables to tell me which they feel are the best and most reliable. I am looking for ease of use and reliability. Also wondering if you recommend spongeless carts over those with sponges.

I know I am asking for alot, but I would greatly appreciate any help anyone can be.

Thanks so much,
Gary

I forgot to add some pertinent information. The CISS system was purchased from alotofthings.com I am unsure of the brand name, I think it is imported from china/korea like most of these CISS units...