CIS for iP4200 - a liddle research

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Just thought I'd highlight this little bit of research I'm going to pursue as time allows over the next month or so...

http://www.allthefaqs.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3792

I'm only going to link rather than duplicate posts but I figure if the iP4000 can take a CIS installation then the iP4200 shouldn't be impossible if you get some empty carts with undamaged chips.

I'll keep you posted as and when I get anywhere (assuming I do ;))

fish

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Just a thought as I am considering a Pixma 5200. Has anyone figured what the chip does? What would happen if you obstruct the cart prism (with tape or whatever) and thereby not have an "empty" cart? Does the chip count drops as per HP?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
fish said:
Just a thought as I am considering a Pixma 5200. Has anyone figured what the chip does? What would happen if you obstruct the cart prism (with tape or whatever) and thereby not have an "empty" cart? Does the chip count drops as per HP?
No idea how the chip works out when it's empty but the rest of what happens is already covered in the thread I linked to...

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
The function of the ip4200 when refilled has been described elsewhere in this forum by KnightCrawler. It will bear no problem to anyone wishing to modify it with a CIS.

However, if one wishes to refill, one should stick to the older models (ip3000, 4000, 5000, 6000).

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Just to let you know I finally got my mitts on a spare iP4200 that wasn't hinky to start with and a whole slew of parts such as threaded elbow to barb connectors, ribbon tubing and some appropriate reservoirs. So with the power out on our road for a few hours I figured now was a good time to have a crack at the thing and I can now say I'm a happy owner of an iP4200 CIS unit.

I opted to keep the original carts sealed up, drill holes in the appropriate places on the carts (above the sponge and at the bottom part of the big number) and screw in the elbow pieces. Used some super glue to seal the things (not ideal I know but the expoxy is on its way and I was impatient) and a glue gun to just fix any air holes anywhere... Then cut tubing to length and away I went...

The trick with it was to use a silicon lubricant to avoid the tubing catching (something that'll require regular reapplication I'll wager) and to remove the small lid on the ip4200 (used a little plastic and some tape to hold the microswitch in the "lid closed" position). From there it's a case of experimenting with tube support position and then testing and I have to say I'm very pleased..

It's a home grown kit at the moment and nobody is providing it as yet... but I figured you'd probably like to know it is indeed possible (and a lot easier to do than the MP750 was!).

I'll put together a proper "how to..." and some pics after I've sorted my best man responsibilities sometimes next week (can't have any more ink on my fingers for that! :p)

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Websnail,

Assuming you are now up and running with your IP4200 fitted with CIS, have you found out yet if it comes up with a low ink warning when it *thinks* it has run out of ink?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
pebe said:
Websnail,

Assuming you are now up and running with your IP4200 fitted with CIS, have you found out yet if it comes up with a low ink warning when it *thinks* it has run out of ink?
Yep... it definitely kicks out the "you're cheating us of our rightful income you b***ard" message (well ok, so call it poetic license on that message) when it "thinks" you are empty.

There's no way to cheat the system but in truth, aside from some potential reports about a possible time limit killer function on the chips you can still refill, etc... without any problems..

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I was wondering if you could fill when half empty (before the optical light triggered) to defeat the message, but apparently you cannot.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
pebe said:
I was wondering if you could fill when half empty (before the optical light triggered) to defeat the message, but apparently you cannot.
It's been tried but it's a no go... A few people with CIS's and with refilling have noted that the printer always gets you in the end... even if the ink is full to the brim permanently.. It obviously has a count that triggers when it reaches a very optimistic nozzle firing count.