Chosing between the Canon Pro-100 and G-4200 for printing CD sleeves

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@lesvisible No one has mention this special offer on Canon Pro 10 model to you, just as cheap as the Pro 100, but you get a better bang for your buck with the Pro 10..;)

Flying Scotsman

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon ip8750
@mikling thanks for your information. This may be a stupid question based on your post but can the G series ink be used to refill my ip8750 cartridges.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Not to sound mean but why would anyone pay the extra money to get a printer with a grey cartridge then attempt to fill it with anything?

To answer your question directly. Yeah you could possibly put some of that G series ink in and it would print but I refer back to my previous confusion and wonderment. In this day and age I unfortunately have become snooty about what ink is to be used for what. Call me snooty but when one is refilling with bulk ink that is so inexpensive that a couple cups of coffee would cost more than using proper refill inks...what are we trying to achieve? Unfortunately the wild west of ink business still prevails and you get the universal ink still being heavily marketed.

You'd still be missing the gray and black. And again I did mention that the ink is very light in color did I not?

The 8750 uses the same inks as the 250/251 series and is the same for the 270/271 series and over the pond Canon uses different numbers but a search and viewing the models between the two will reveal what are brothers and sisters between EU and NA.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Canon ink cartridges for use in Europe are named similarly to cartridges intended for use in the US and Canada. The only difference is that the first digit of three in the type number is "5" instead of "2". For instance PGI-550/CLI-551.

I have also tried the Canon "G" inks and found that they are not the same high quality as the Cromalife+ inks used in the OEM cartridges. I also found the inks are "thinner" and colour balance is off when using these inks for refill. This makes corrections in the printer driver necessary. By cranking up the intensity in the driver you increase ink consumption. I recommend to use either OEM ink cartridges or refill with a good refill ink from a recommended dealer of quality refill inks.

See this post and this.

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Seems all manufacturers are thinking of ways to extract even more money from their customers and giving less. The most serious example occurred this week when consumers learned that Jaffa cakes now come with only 10 in a box instead of 12 :( and some retailers are charging the same price!

Is nothing sacred :)

Flying Scotsman

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon ip8750
The problem I have found is that nobody can give a answer to what is "quality refill ink ".

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I think out of courtesy to Les Visible, particularly as it is his first post, we should not clutter up the thread with unrelated posts.

Flying Scotsman

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon ip8750
@The Hat thanks always the provider of sound advice
Out of the three mentioned what one do you think is the best ??? thanks

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Out of the three mentioned what one do you think is the best ??? thanks
To be fair, it would practically be a triplicate dead heat for second, but the OEM will always be the clear winner when printed on OEM paper... ;)
I hope this doesn’t upset @Emulator... :hide