Chip resetters/MP620 already off ink montoring:advice pse

JacquesEGH

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have been refilling the cartridges using the german method and a long needle, and JR inks: (which give good colour, bye the way).
After hitting the orange button to take the printer past the "Hey!! you're out of ink!!" stage, I am now checking the refilled cartidges regularly.
My question is this: Now the printer is no longer monitoring levels: is it now pointless getting a chip resetter?

If I reset the chips (when the damn thing comes out) will this make any difference to the printer, will it start to read link levels again, or would I be wasting my money?

Thanks for your help.
J.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I don't know anything about chip resetters or any of the other issues involved with printers that use chipped cartridges, but I'm wondering how you are "checking the refilled cartridges regularly". Do you take them out of the printer or can you check them while they are still in the printer? If you remove them from the printer, you should do a head cleaning to flush the air out of the ink path, but this will only guarantee that you will run out of ink sooner.

What I would suggest is that you regularly just top off all your cartridges instead of merely checking them. The printer always needs to do a head cleaning after you "replace" a "low" cartridge with a "full" one which under normal working conditions the printer will do automatically because it is keeping track of the ink levels but now with that function disabled you will have to tell the printer to do it. After doing the cleaning you should do a nozzle check to make sure everything is working. I also recommend putting Windex or other window cleaner on the two pads where the print head parks while you are refilling and/or checking your cartridges. This will keep your purge unit clean which is used to do head cleanings.

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I have printers which use the PGI-5 and CLI-8 chipped cartridge. The printer will monitor the ink level again if the chip is reset or using a new OEM cartridge. MP620 may behave the same way. You can test this by installing a new OEM PGI-220 or CLI-221 cartridge.

billkunert

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Envy 5530e
Re: Resetter for the 620 carts. I was just looking at a resetter on ebay for the CLI8, PGI5 carts and the company said they had given up on trying to break the chip code but were selling auto reset chips for those carts.