Chip Resetter Primer

InkaInkaDoo

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson P800
OK, the chip resetter works!

Not quite the way I thought it would, though.

The chip resetter appears to reset empty (fully used) maintenance cartridges. The LED flashes red a few times, turns solid green for a few seconds, then turns off, but my printer will not accept them.

Doing a little more reading I see where InkOwl says their chip resetter (which appears to be identical to the one I purchased for $21 on Amazon) will not work on a completely used cartridge.

I don't remember Jose Rodriquez saying anything about this in his video for the PRO 3800 and 3880, so I will assume this is a difference with the P800.

So I ordered a FOURTH maintenance cartridge, so I would have two good cartridges to go with my two used-up cartridges (that don't have a spot of ink on them.)

I was a little nervous because I had just learned how to determine the used/unused capacity of the maintenance cartridge (through my RIP software & also on the front panel) and the cartridge in my printer that I had installed a week earlier, which hasn't been used to print anything and has gone through 2 or 3 heavy head cleanings was down to 69%. Almost 1/3 of the cartridge used!

Once I received the new cartridge, I reset the cartridge in the printer and...the printer accepted it! I did not need to use the second, unused cartridge to get the printer to accept the original, reset cartridge.

Out of curiosity, wondering if perhaps my other cartridge came slightly "pre-used", I did insert the new cartridge in my printer and it accepted it without question and showed 100% capacity.

So now I have a brand-new maintenance cartridge that I don't need, unless I forget to reset the cartridge in my printer and it gets "used up."

I would still like to know about the significance of "QE 589" but I can live without knowing as long as I don't have to keep buying maintenance cartridges that I don't even use.

Thank you all for your advice & patience. And for not pelting me with virtual cabbage.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Doing a little more reading I see where InkOwl says their chip resetter (which appears to be identical to the one I purchased for $21 on Amazon) will not work on a completely used cartridge.
Unfortunately it appears so. I included that info in my Post #4.

Glad to hear you were able to work things out and can get back to happy printing!

wannaby

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SureColor P800 & 3800
The chip resetter appears to reset empty (fully used) maintenance cartridges. The LED flashes red a few times, turns solid green for a few seconds, then turns off, but my printer will not accept them.

I am shopping around for a chip resetter that works with both my Epson 3800 and P800. I saw Jose R's video on the QE 589 in which he resets a used-up maintenance cart from 0% to 100%. After removing the empty tank, he inserts a new/empty tank. I wonder if the printer registers the serial number of a non-used up tank at this step??? I'm wondering if he could have inserted any non-expired tank (i.e. not necessarily brand new) at this step and it would reset the empty tank to 100%?

On the other hand, as you have said, the Ink Owl website says you canNot reset a fully used-up tank. In their video, they use a spare tank which can be empty. It would seem the printer is just registering the serial number of the spare tank???

Interestingly, the small product photo for Ink Owl shows the same model QE 589 as seen in Jose's video. So it's curious why both eBay and the Ink Owl products have the same model number but have different requirements regarding which tank can be empty.

Would you mind sharing the instructions for resetting the maintenance cart with the resetter you bought from Amazon? The instructions on Amazon seem geared toward ink carts.

After the maintenance cart is reset to 100%, does it stay at 100% or does the %-age drop over time?

If the %-age drops with usage, does that mean you cannot reuse the same "spare" tank each time you need to reset the tank being used in the P800? I ask this because I've read in other posts that the P800 has "deeper" memory than the 3800/3880. So it might not allow you to use the same spare/secondary tank again.

Thanks in advance for entertaining all my questions!

Last edited:

InkaInkaDoo

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson P800
I am shopping around for a chip resetter that works with both my Epson 3800 and P800. I saw Jose R's video on the QE 589 in which he resets a used-up maintenance cart from 0% to 100%. After removing the empty tank, he inserts a new/empty tank. I wonder if the printer registers the serial number of a non-used up tank at this step??? I'm wondering if he could have inserted any non-expired tank (i.e. not necessarily brand new) at this step and it would reset the empty tank to 100%?

On the other hand, as you have said, the Ink Owl website says you canNot reset a fully used-up tank. In their video, they use a spare tank which can be empty. It would seem the printer is just registering the serial number of the spare tank???

Interestingly, the small product photo for Ink Owl shows the same model QE 589 as seen in Jose's video. So it's curious why both eBay and the Ink Owl products have the same model number but have different requirements regarding which tank can be empty.

Would you mind sharing the instructions for resetting the maintenance cart with the resetter you bought from Amazon? The instructions on Amazon seem geared toward ink carts.

After the maintenance cart is reset to 100%, does it stay at 100% or does the %-age drop over time?

If the %-age drops with usage, does that mean you cannot reuse the same "spare" tank each time you need to reset the tank being used in the P800? I ask this because I've read in other posts that the P800 has "deeper" memory than the 3800/3880. So it might not allow you to use the same spare/secondary tank again.

Hi, wannaby-
On my printer swapping WICs does not reset them. But, I have reset my WIC many times with my QE 589 resetter.

I have to be very careful not to let the cartridge get to zero % capacity as the resetter will NOT work at that point & a new WIC will have to be procurred.

I bought this resetter on Amazon for $21:
QE 589 Chip resetter
One of the photos makes it appear that the resetter will work with ink carts, but the description on the item's label clearly indicates it works only with the maintenance cart.

Hmmm, I can't find the box & don't remember if there were instructions, but it's as simple as pressing the resetter against the Waste Ink Cart, the light will flash red a few times & then go either solid red or solid green. If it's solid red, keep trying until it goes solid green. Job done!

These are the "instructions" on my resetter. Note: It specifically states it is intended for the maintenance tank:

02 My Unit a.JPG

It will drop over time. Keep an eye on it!

I haven't found a spare tank to be necessary. I reset my WIC, pop it back in & my printer is happy. My printer has been modified for Direct to Garment printing, I'm not sure if that could make my printer work differently.

Spare carts can be had for $15 on Staples.com & you probably should have a spare for when you inevitably forget to keep an eye on your WIC & it "runs dry."

My pleasure! Your post made me realize that I forgot to document my QE 589, which I have just done while answering your questions.

wannaby

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SureColor P800 & 3800

Hi, wannaby-
On my printer swapping WICs does not reset them. But, I have reset my WIC many times with my QE 589 resetter.

Thanks InkaInkaDoo for replying! Let me clarify what I was trying to say. First of all, I read that a second WIC is required for the reset process and was trying to understand the reason for having this second WIC for the reset and swap. Other threads have suggested it has to do with the printer recognizing serial numbers. But Yes, I understand the QE 589 does the reset.

I have to be very careful not to let the cartridge get to zero % capacity as the resetter will NOT work at that point & a new WIC will have to be procurred.

If I recall correctly, Jose Rodriguez in his video was able to reset a WIC that went to 0% capacity using a QE 589. I think he bought his on eBay. Variations in the reset process may depend on printer firmware or perhaps there are variations of the QE 589 product depending on where you bought it.

I bought this resetter on Amazon for $21:
QE 589 Chip resetter
One of the photos makes it appear that the resetter will work with ink carts, but the description on the item's label clearly indicates it works only with the maintenance cart.

I also purchased the QE 589 on Amazon. The product info indicates it works on Ink carts and also on the WIC. When I read the instructions on the label you posted, I interpreted the 15% to apply to the Ink carts, not the WIC level since it specifically says "ink level" and not remaining capacity. However, it might be a language translation issue.

Hmmm, I can't find the box & don't remember if there were instructions, but it's as simple as pressing the resetter against the Waste Ink Cart, the light will flash red a few times & then go either solid red or solid green. If it's solid red, keep trying until it goes solid green. Job done!

These are the "instructions" on my resetter. Note: It specifically states it is intended for the maintenance tank:

View attachment 12188

After I submitted my original post, I spent time trying various processes. What I finally did to make the printer accept the WIC reset with the QE 589 was to leave the printer ON when removing the secondary WIC and inserting the reset WIC. This is according to the InkOwl video.

Prior to that, I turned OFF the printer before removing or inserting a WIC. Jose did it that way (if I recall correctly, and if not, apologies to Jose).

I haven't found a spare tank to be necessary. I reset my WIC, pop it back in & my printer is happy. My printer has been modified for Direct to Garment printing, I'm not sure if that could make my printer work differently.

Interesting. I will try that next time. Do you recall whether you left the printer ON during the time the WIC was removed and reinserted?

Thanks again!

Latest posts