Chip holders broken, any idea how to fix the chip to the cartridge?

Radeon89

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello guys,
please look at the pictures below (click on them to enlarge).

As you can see I have partially broke the holders of the chip, (I was trying to replace canon 520 chip with canon 525 chip), on the others cartridges I have done this operation broking just the head of one holder but in this case unfortunately I broke the head of both holders.

I would like anyway to use this cart, how can I fix the chip to the cart? any ideas? :/

Thanks for your help.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Just place a bit of glue in the spot where the holders were, then put the chip down on top of the wet glue
and just hold it long enough for the glue to harden a bit (Just a few minutes).

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Hi Radeon89

Before I started refilling my Canon ink cartridges I used compatible cartridges without chips and transferred the chips from one cartridge to the next. After having begun to refill OEM cartridges, I had the problem of transferring the chips back to the OEM cartridges. Often the chip holder was broken the in the same way as yours. I used a small piece of thin double sided sticky tape to keep the chip in place.

You can also use a little "Blue tack", "Elephant snot", or what it might be called in English. Also druckerchannel.de has an idea using two small dots of hot melt glue to keep the chip in place: http://www.druckerchannel.de/artikel.php?ID=1208&seite=1&t=erste_nachbauten_fuer_pixma_ip4200_ip5200 or a Google translation: http://translate.google.dk/translat...1&t=erste_nachbauten_fuer_pixma_ip4200_ip5200

The cost of the compatible cartridges was around 2 but I can refill a Canon OEM cartridge for half that amount and colour match is much better with IS refill inks. I never refilled the compatible cartridges, doing that is asking for trouble.

Radeon89

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
What you think about Vinavil glue? If I must remove the chip again it's possible with it.

(I have it at home and so I dont need to buy it)

9746.jpg

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The glue looks like a water based PVA emulsion glue, for paper.wood, etc. I think the water content makes it conductive, so it is not the best glue to use with electronics. If you decide to try it, I recommend making sure the glue is completely dry before putting the cartridge back in the printer. But leakage current due to water might damage the chip and/or the printer, so I suggest trying one of the other alternatives.

Radeon89

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Mmmhhh maybe you are right, I'll try to find something different.

Radeon89

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have just bought from ebay uk the bostik blu tack, I will update this post once will be arrived.

Ant

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6220
a dot of super glue might work:)

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Hi Radeon89

I have tested the "Elephant snot/Sticky fix", I have used to attach chips to cartridges, for conductivity using a digital multimeter set to the 20 Megohm range. It shows no conductivity, so it is safe to use. I think the "Blu-Tack" is similar, not water based. See this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-Tack .

I can also recommend druckerchannel's use of hot melt glue and the use of double sided sticky tape.

I have made a high resolution scan of an instruction sheet showing the chip transfer and use of the double sided sticky tape. If you want it, you can send me an Email or PM with your Email address. I will then attach the scan to my answer. The scan is saved as a .pdf file 2.76 MB in size