Checking purge unit on i9950

rondelay

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have read a post by Trigger 37 about an issue experienced by Peter from Australia in 2008. I apologize for not noting the post number. I was printing some cards and two pieces went through the printer at the same time. I was away from the printer when it happened. The printer had stopped and without looking at why, restarted it. Print colours were wrong so I did a nozzle check and cyan was not printing. Deep cleaning didn't fix it. I figured it might be the head so ordered one from the US and when it was installed C M Y all did not print. I am wondering if this is the same problem where the tube has come off that bank of colours. I have the cover off the printer but can't see how to get to the purge unit. I am also in Australia, and get quoted similar prices for fixing anything to do with the i9950. I have a newer Epson A2 printer, but the Canon has been a good printer and it serves some of my purposes well. I don't think it is ready for the scrap heap yet!

rondelay

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
You can tell if the tube came off or if there is a clog in the purge system for the CMY colors by putting some Windex or other window cleaner or just plain water on your two purge pads off to the right where the print head parks. Wait a couple minutes and see if the liquid remains on the pads. If it drains away all by itself, that means the tube came off for that purge pad. If it remains, then do a normal head cleaning and see if it now is sucked away. If it remains on one of the purge pads, then that means there is a clog in that purge system.

It is highly unlikely that card jams could cause a problem with the purge system since all the tubing is underneath where it is almost impossible to access, even by a wayward card.

rondelay

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.. A question. How do I get the print head unit to stay away from the parked position. I can see where the pads are, but the head assembly keeps moving back.

rondelay

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Sorry for the extra post. I am getting 8 amber flashes between the green when the head is parked.

rondelay

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
rondelay said:
Thank you for your reply.. A question. How do I get the print head unit to stay away from the parked position. I can see where the pads are, but the head assembly keeps moving back.
It's supposed to stay in the middle of the printer anytime the cover is open but since you are getting some flashing lights, I guess that means something bad is going on. Do you get any comment when you do a nozzle check that explains what's the problem?

You could always unplug the printer while the print head is somewhere in the center and test to see if the Windex will remain on the purge pads but I'm not sure if it will allow you to do a head cleaning while the printer has an error status.

rondelay

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have actually done a few things since I last posted. I tried resetting the printer to try and clear the 8 amber flashes, but part way through the process it starts flashing again. I managed to get some water onto the pads and it immediately disappeared. In that same area I saw a couple of tubes which seemed well and truly attached. In another post on a different website the person said it was hard to get at the purge unit and the tubes which are underneath the machine. I am unable to do a nozzle check because of the error. Currently the old head is in the machine and I don't seem to be able to remove it as you would normally. I have tried unplugging the machine and then plugging it in again. No joy. I am on Win 7 64 bit, so a reinstall is a bit messy - new driver etc, and no point in doing it with the error showing. I am thinking it is probably something to do with the purge unit. When I open the lid, the print head does not stop in the middle as I would expect. It is not looking good, and I have a heap of BCI-6 inks!
I am beginning to think this might be a bit beyond me. With service people not available for well over a week, I can't even get a quote on fixing it. I love this machine and I would still appreciate having it functional, but if it costs in the vicinity of $400-500 I might have to think again. One guy I spoke to just before Christmas reckoned it was probably the print head which I got from the US. Strange that - it is exactly the same as what is in the machine, same part number etc!
Really appreciate your help.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
rondelay
The 8 flashing amber lights just might be the waste tank full warning, so you could try this and see if it works for you.. ;)

Waste Tank Reset

1. Turn off printer
2. Hold down Resume button and press Power button.
3. Keep holding down Power button and let Resume button go.
4. Press Resume button 2 times then let BOTH buttons go.
5. Green lights will flash and then stop blinking.
6. When green lights are solid, press the Resume button 4 times.
7. Press the Power button and the printer should turn off, if not, press the Power button once more.
8. Your printer should respond as normal.

rondelay

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
The Hat

That is what I tried, but at step 5, after I have let both buttons go the light slow flashes green a few times then goes back to 8 amber flashing. After nine sets of 8 flashes, the printer makes a few whirring noises, but there is no change to the sets of 8 flahes. If I press the resume button once the light stops flashing. If I then try to do a nozzle check the printer status window says that the printer is off line. Turning the machine off, then on again, causes quite a loud noise, a sheet of paper feeds through without printing (that happened once), and the amber light flashes again.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
rondelay

When you turn your printer back on its trying to print out a status report from the reset that was just done, hence the blank page.
If all else fails you could try to locate the loud noises on start up, but the only way to discover the origins of this is to take the darn top cover off.
Then turn on and off the printer till you locate the exact position of the noise.
I once had a similar noise problem with my ip4500 (flashing amber light).
I discovered that one of the little wires from the motor under the back feed had being severed when attempting to put back on the top cover.
A quick soldering and a jacket cover, it was back working great again..

rondelay

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
The Hat

Thanks for that. According to the manual 8 amber flashes means something wrong with the purge unit. I have put the cover back on, but can remove it again to have a look. The movements of the print head on the rail and the noises coming from the machine are quite different from what I would expect. The print head does stay in the middle of the rail now, when you open the cover. I am pretty practical and handy but not sure I would be up to the soldering job if it were needed. Female, and all that!