changing cartridge protocol

Paul W.

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1430 HP 932 Canon iP8720
I'm using an Epson 1430, got it used in like new condiltion - clog free. It's equipped with a set of almost empty color cartridges, but the yellow cart is defective and I can't print. I plan tol order a new set of color bottles from Inkjetcarts. I already have a set of their refillable carts, right now they're brand new and empty. It'll be a few days before the new ink arrives. Will I get clogs while I wait? I do have a spare copy of Paul Roark's 6 position inkset for QTR I could print some black and white photos while waiting.

Here's where I wonder about the protocol. Can I swap my 6 position black inset and my new color set? With new color set installed, does the black ink in the lines just work itself through and the new color set gradually takes over? Or if I want someday to print all black, and swap back, will the color work its way through till the black takes over?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Thre is not much ink in the ink channels inside the printhead, you swap the cartridges and print a purge sheet or two which directly tell you when the colors are switched over.

Purge 6C.jpg

Paul W.

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Well, I decided for now to replace the color carts the printer came with and install a carbon ink set of carts... are you familiar with that set? Thanks to your guidance on how to swap inksets. I got a near perfect nozzle check first try. The only hitch is that the yellow position pattern contains some black. As you know, the yellow and black carts are next to each other. This brings me back to my other thread! To be clear, although I call it the yellow cart, in this inkset the ink in the yellow position is a blue toner.

At least now I know that swapping a color set and a carbon (black) set is easy and works very smoothly. Thanks for your comments on that. But I'm worried now about the black cart contaminating the toner cart. Seems to me I've seen mention of that problem elsewhere, something to do with a membrane failing between those two carts. Could my early mistakes (forgetting to a: remove the art vent plugs and b: open the clip on the waste ink tube) cause this leakage?

Maybe I should try the underhead "shoeshine" cleaning method.

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
If black is leaking into the yellow channel inside the printhead there would not be any way to repair that, I don't think that any handling would have caused that , this leaking is pretty rare but I have seen some reports about that elsewhere already. It is visible in the nozzle check but is it visible as well in regular printouts ?

Paul W.

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
First thing this morning I printed a nozzle check and the yellow position (but containing a blue toner) was perfect.

I next tried printing a photo of a church, and it was a bit flat. But it's been that way earlier so it's hard to draw conclusions. I next printed a bargraph, that is, the six colors (actually six shades of grey) in bars. The toner (blue, but in yellow position cart) was again perfect but it's hard to tell for sure because I'm looking at a shade of grey.

Summing up, the situation is looking good. However, I've been fooled before. I'm going to top off the carts now, I've used quite a bit of ink lately.