Cartridge radiographs

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
There is one other thing I forgot to mention. That first photo suggests that the "sponges" are quite stiff. You can see that it's compressed around the filter, yet it doesn't rebound. I'm pretty sure the sponge was wet, since the ink chamber was about 2/3 full and the cartridge had been stored with the outlet cap on (held with a strong rubber band). That suggests that these things are not very resilient, and could be very touchy about not flowing after a refill. I wonder what you all think about this?

nerdful1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hmmn I have a whimshurst influence machine next to me, they are an easy way to develop x-ray potentials. Now I just need to look through my tubes for an old 6bk4 regulator that started the tv x-ray scare.

nerdful1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
No, they are easy to make. This one was described in Make magazine and built by someone more a woodworker than electrician.

Its really easy to generate many 10's of controllable kv at good currents.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Nerdful1, if you really intend to try making radiographs, keep in mind that there are quite a few problems to avoid if you you want to get a good image. First, you need a small focal spot. You also need the right potential. I don't know what this thing generates, but it is probably quite unregulated. I suppose you could use the Wilmshurst machine directly as the X-ray source, but if you get a long spark, the average voltage would probably be too high for a good image of these small cartridges. Also, you will need a heavy target like lead, tungsten, or silver, as copper or brass is probably not a good idea. If you use some kind of voltage regulator, you would need an X-ray tube, and I have no idea what you would use.

Finally, I don't suppose I could talk you out of it, but the darned thing could be somewhat dangerous. Make sure to shield it and keep a good distance. Be especially careful of the lower-energy radiation, as that will be selectively absorbed in soft tissue. Medical x-ray tubes are almost all shielded with a good thickness of aluminum. Lead aprons and distance are used to attenuate higher-energy radiation.

nerdful1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I think my Welch dual stage rotary is fine enough for the vacuum needed, I never got around to completing my diffusion pump.

Somewhere I saved a lead surrounded HV rectifier from an x-ray scare tv, it has about 1/8 inch of lead on outside of envelope. Possibly make a hole near a new target element.

I hope by then I find some good canon pro printer at a yard sale. Otherwise I might go astray and start imaging squirrels, neighbor's pets, etc.

OutOFtheinkwell

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with that cartridge type but as I see the problem so well pictured a thought popped into my mind and dumb as it might be I'm going to share it, ( I'm shameless) Hee hee!
Since the ink is stuck in the sponge so to speak, how about a simple centrifuge? It wouldn't have to be anything fancy. Perhaps a sanding disk you could attach a cartridge or two to and spin it with a drill? Seems like that would do a good job of moving that ink where you want it. Any other idea's out there?

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
If you're already in the process of getting a divorce, you could tape it to the inside of the drum on your washing machine and set it for the spin cycle.

For those who want to remain married, tightly seal it in a robust plastic bag, placing it at the bottom of an old tube sock. The ink will move toward the bottom of the sock, so orient the cart accordingly. Take the sock for a walk a long way from your car/house/people (just in case it leaks) and sling it around over your head. You can generate fairly high g-forces if you spin it quickly.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Well that is one of the most interesting set of posts I have read. It may also explain my problem of colour fading in printed strips of grey. Grandad35's visually stimulating description of homemade centrifuges, takes the biscuit.:lol: