Cartridge chip show/ do not show ink level on ARC chip

glprint

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hp OfficeJet Pro 8600
I agree that the descriptions of the products on Aliexpress leave much to be desired, as well as the answers given by salespeople to my questions on the products above.

Thinking back to the indication of 20% residual ink: maybe it's just a strategy to ensure that the user, removing the cartridge to recharge it, will reset the parameters of ARC chips thus avoiding the printer marking the cartridge as empty/depleted.

Drjim

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Cannon ts9020 pro100
Anyone here old enough to remember the slipshod early Japanese products from the late 50's and early 60's.

While we in the West were busy laughing at them, they snuck up and ate our lunch. Hello Toyota, Mitsubishi and others.

rs
My toys as a child were labeled "made in occupied Japan". They were tin toys made of scrap US soup cans and suck. Very valuable if I still had them

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I agree that the descriptions of the products on Aliexpress leave much to be desired
@glprint, far from me to defend Aliexpress, you must remember your dealing with a huge expanding market that’s still trying to catch up, you may have command of the English language, as do a lot of Chinese nationals but unlike you, their command of the written language is very bad to terrible.

The concept in China is to supply these new ARC chips that work to deceive the printer and that they do when used properly, they were never meant to give accrete ink levels, just tell you when to refill, cost is everything..

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
@glprint, far from me to defend Aliexpress, you must remember your dealing with a huge expanding market that’s still trying to catch up, you may have command of the English language, as do a lot of Chinese nationals but unlike you, their command of the written language is very bad to terrible.

The concept in China is to supply these new ARC chips that work to deceive the printer and that they do when used properly, they were never meant to give accrete ink levels, just tell you when to refill, cost is everything..
Hat is onto something.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Hat is onto on something.

Drjim

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Cannon ts9020 pro100
A fun read is an Epson patent which describes a chip design which prevents "accidental" writes which raise the available ink counter value. Apparently standard error checking isn't good enough. Guess they couldn't get a patent on preventing user resets. But the chip doesn't prevent "accidental" writes which lower the count- sells more ink.

Attachments

• US7599247.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 408

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
@Drjim - Maybe Epson should not have used erasable PROM if they didn't want "accidental" chip resetting.

Drjim

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Cannon ts9020 pro100
From the weasel word in the patent they write the decreasing ink estimate to the eeprom, among other data. This is needed if cart is removed and replaced in the same or another machine. But the memory will not accept an increasing value-acts like a ratchet-or screw.

Can't find any Canon patents but these guys constantly cross license.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Third party 'single use only' chips for certain cartridge models have been reported on this forum. Are they 'single use only' because no one has made a chip resetter, or, is the one time use peculiar to the chip itself, ie cannot be reset ever?

Drjim

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Cannon ts9020 pro100
Who said the chip resetter people and one-time chippers weren't greedy too?

At least the printer manufacturers are trying to recoup loss-leader sales of printer via ink.