car tire pump mod to vacuum pump

cinnacar

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
InkMon said:
Anyone thought of using a vacuum cleaner, they are used to collapse storage bags and have a fair suction.
I'm wondering if anyone has tried the food vacuum products (FoodSaver, Seal-a-Meal, Black & Decker).

The container shown here (http://www.inkjetsaver.com/vacchamber.html) is actually a modified FoodSaver vaccum canister. These canisters are easily available on ebay (do a search for FoodSaver canister and you'll get lots of hits). After reading how someone (maybe Grandad?) used a pickle jar, I am sure the these canisters could be used.

As a female, I am more inclined to have kitchen and cleaning items at hand rather than auto vacuum pumps. I guess I should try it, I have both a FoodSaver and a Black & Decker machine, as well a several canisters. I just hate to mess up a food canister with ink. Maybe I'll try it with a mason jar. I have the mason jar sealer as well.

Has anyone else tried this? The B&D seems to pull a stronger vacuum (the canister actually squeaks as it seals, you can hear the plastic pop a little. The Foodsaver doesn't do that, even with the same canister). Any input appreciated. According to the FoodSaver gurus on the FoodSaver Yahoo group, the FoodSaver pulls about 23" (or was it 26"?) of vacuum. I may give this a try next week in a mason jar.

BTW the B&D unit, the machine with 2 canisters, cost me $10 at Tuesday Mornings. They also have FS there for about $60, and the FS kits usually include a canister or two and the mason jar sealer. Both would be cheaper than the items you mention. There is also a Pump-n-Seal hand vaccum device (http://www.pump-n-seal.com/) that is available for about $15 before S&H. Not sure how it would work.

The manual pump hown here (http://www.nifty-stuff.com/vacuum-fill-canon-cartridges.php) looks a lot like the pumps that are used in the hospital to generate the vacuum needed for a vacuum assited delivery. I've had to pump them up a few times and you can get quite a hand work-out pumping it up.

I have recently switched to the German method of refilling, and am very happy with the ease of refilling. I have refilled with years using syringes and plugs, and this is so much cleaner and easier. I find that it is even easier than using Hobbicolor cartridges. I appreciated the "push pin" tip, I don't have a drill, so using the push pin was a great tip! No problems making the hole big enough for the syringe. I do not seal, and there has been no leakage yet. Still using the Hobbicolor cartridges (refilling the usual way) on one printer, and the German method (with OEM cartridges) on another printer. Hobbicolor inks in all. No leaks or clogs in either.

freddyzdead

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Vacuum cleaners are useless unless you only need a weak partial vacuum. You can pull a pretty good vacuum with an old fridge compressor, and it won't cost you anything except some time to fart around with it.