Cant decide if a laser printer is right for me. Please help.

bex3

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
My reasons for getting a laser printer:

1)I currently own a Canon Pixma ip4000. This printer is highly praised by many, but personally, I am fed up with it. Because I have been using third party cartridges from Printpal and Megatoners for many years, my print quality and colors deteriorated significantly, and now I am left with a printer that simply doesn't print very well, and that's putting it lightly. I have used third part cleaning cartriges in the pst, and those generally work pretty well, but 5 of those will cost me at least $60 or so and with that kind of money I can buy a new laser printer if I add a little more.

2)I posted here on forums a while ago, and people recommended that I use GENUINE Canon cartridges for my printer and refill them manually. Unfortunately I threw out my original ones a long time ago, and new ones are hard to find. I did find them for sale though and they are crazy expensive consting around $80 for all five, and that's not considering that I still have to buy a refill kit, and possibly a cleaning kit to get my printer up and running like new again. That's easily $100+ in expenses, and again I rather put that money toward a new printer.

3)I do not print photos at home because I consider the ordeal too expensive and annoying, and I am fed up with my printer complaining about empty color ink cartridges every few months.

4)Having a Laser printer seems simpler, because I don't have to buy new toner as often, and I don't need to worry about color cartridges. Cheaper, because 3rd party toner is also available and it lasts longer.

I spoke to a few people on other forums and it looks like no one has problems with 3rd party toner damaging their printers. A few folks did tell me that crappy toner gives bad print output though.
I don't want to get a laser printer for the wrong reasons, so if you think I should just buy a new inkjet please let me know. Otherwise, I'd be grateful if someone could recommend me a few descent laser printers that do well with cheap 3rd party toner. Thanks.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
The main advantage of an inkjet printer is so that you can print your own photos at home. Since you have another way to print your photos, there really is not a strong argument to have an inkjet printer.

One of the other advantages of an all-in-one inkjet printer, which isn't your printer, is the copier and scanner functions, and for some people, the fax. These generally are not available in the affordable laser printers.

So, what it boils down to in your case, is that you basically want a black-only printer for plain paper and a laser printer is clearly superior. It will be MUCH faster than any inkjet.

Since you have given up on your iP4000, can I have it? (Assuming that it doesn't have an electrical problem.)

bex3

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, but no, you cant have it. ; ) I bought it brand new on ebay after doing weeks of research online to see what was right for me at the time. I spent $120 with the money I got from all those years of grinding in Diablo II on my account in the late 90's. It really holds a sentimental value. lol

The printer is in very good condition, the only problem with it is that it might need head/nozzle cleaning.

I am well aware that the ip4000 is a a very special printer valued by many even after all those years after it's discontinuation. I will either try to sell it to a right buyer, or keep it until I have money to waste to clean it and buy genuine cartridges for refills.

What do you think about this printer? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828113290

It's cheap, has good reviews, and has cheap toner available here:

http://www.inkfilling.com/toner-refill-Brother--HL-2140.html

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
You've done what I would do if I was considering buying a laser printer, especially making sure that there were cheap toner cartridges available. The only other consideration is how much toner is in those cartridges. But, aside from that, I have never had a laser printer so maybe others will state their opinions about this laser printer. I did a search and found one user that is happy with it.

Now back to your iP4000. Do you have a scanner or camera available that you could upload an image of the nozzle check so that we can see if there is any hope of getting it working again? Even if you want to sell it, you will get a better price if you can say that it is fully functional. If it looks hopeful and you are in the USA, I will send you some refilled OEM cartridges that you can use to get it working again.

bex3

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Wow, thanks ghwellsjr! I would really appreciate that. If I can get this printer working fine, I would be very happy. Yes I live in the USA, NYC, zip code 11224.

I will print out the nozzle check pattern and post a pic here. Let me know if there's anything else I can do to show you what the problem may be. Currently, the colors are very screwed up, and despite the fact that most my color cartridges are empty, the black and white printouts still have a lot of blue in them. I don't understand why this happens. even when I manually go into ooptions and tune all the colors down except for black, I still get blue, unless I am only printing text. Text is always black.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
ghwellsjr said:
If it looks hopeful and you are in the USA, I will send you some refilled OEM cartridges that you can use to get it working again.
I forgot to add one stipulation: If I send you some OEM cartridges you have to promise me that you will recycle all of your compatible cartridges at Staples for $3 [now down to $2] each (max ten per month).

bex3

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Heh.. Sure! I didn't even know Staples had this program!

You mentioned you did some research about the laser printer I wanted to buy. Is there a list of recommended laser printers somewhere here on the forum?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I didn't do research, I did a search using the link at the top of this page. I just put in the model number hl-2140 and it found the link I referenced above. Like I said earlier, I have never had a laser printer and I know very little about them. I'm not aware of a list of recommended laser printers.

After I see the nozzle check, I'll give you some specific advice. In the mean time, don't take the print head out of the printer and don't print anything except nozzle checks until you get all your nozzles working. Otherwise, you run the risk of permanent damage to your print head and your printer.

You're going to need some Windex or other glass cleaner with ammonia in it. And if you can get a syringe with a needle, it will be helpful, otherwise an eye dropper will work.

jasiiboss

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Hi!

Was travelling hence was out of touch with the forum for some time.

Wishing All you Great Folks at the Forum A Belated Happy New Year.

Yes! I am a power user and a great advocater of a Laser Printer Just as much as a lot of folks here would tend to disagree with me, however the advantages are far too many:

A Laser Printer is:
faster
Quieter
Has a larger toner hence few refills.
The output is crisp,clean & Dry.
The output is water resistant.
The output is Pre-press ready.
A Laser printer has a larger duty cycle.
A Laser printer is supposedly more robust.

Try the new HP laser P1007 It is cheap & easy to refill entry level Printer with about 2200 pages in-between refills.(Just check before buying whether yours is shipped with the standard or the low yield introductory cartridge)

The canon LBP 2900 is also a decent entry level printer with about 2500 pages in-between refills. This printer can also take the easily available HP 12A toner cart.

Also interesting to try would be the older 2200/4000 printers available on ebay etc.

Regards,