Canons new chipped carts - seeking some info...

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I've been reading the info on these new canons with the chipped cartridges and I'm curious as to what exactly happens with them.

Could someone check if this is more or less the gist...

1. The new chipped cartridges are able to be disabled after 3 rather "scarey" warnings
2. If disabled the cartridges can be refilled (if you have the inks obviously) but the Canon software will no longer report the ink levels

Am I right?

Ok... now some questions on top of that:
a) Are other software or driver functions affected by disabling the warning and continuing to use the carts (refilled, etc..) ?

b) Has anyone actually found a bulk ink supplier that manufactures the appropriate ink for these newer printer models (eg: iP4200, MP500) ?

c) What properties in particular do the new inks supposedly have? I've heard talk of "Chroma" or some such so I'm curious as to what that actually means? Waterfast, enhanced colour values, etc?

Reason I'm asking is that it seems rather interesting that if I'm right, disabling the chips could actually result in the ability to use the newer printers with a CIS (yes that old chestnut again :)) and not suffer... After all, ink levels aren't something you use software to monitor if you're using a CIS...

It seems potentially the only hiccup is likely to be the ink supply itself...

Anyways... it'd be useful to know what's what with them...

Thanks in advance...
:)

KnightCrawler

Printer Guru
Reaction score
A couple of users have said they used bci-6 bulk ink and didn't notice much difference. You get some warnings about warranty and a note will be placed in the memory.

weink.com sells ultraFLO: http://www.weink.com/ecom/catalog/ultraflo_for_canon_rc100_light_fast_inkjet_inks_4404718.htm

It would be nice if the measuring stayed on like the older models.

There is also an idea that bci-7 carts could be used like the Japanese models. Using the service menu choosing Japan and then using bci-7 carts.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
KnightCrawler said:
A couple of users have said they used bci-6 bulk ink and didn't notice much difference. You get some warnings about warranty and a note will be placed in the memory.
Just to check... Is this the printer memory? or the cartridge or the computer it's attached to?

I'm guessing the printer itself but I'd best check.

Thanks for that..