Canon waste ink message ip 2000

alex

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
hi all,just a few lines to thank everybody for the tech' posts about the waste ink problems with canon printers,my daughters ip2000 threw up the warning last week at just 18months old,stripped it down and cleaned up felt pads,put it all back together only to still have warning,searched web and found this site,had a good read and found post by someone who credited the method to a Tman on another forum,have tried it tonight and it worked like a charm,supposed to work with s300,400,s9000.i550,560,850,860,865,9100,9150,9950 and ip3000>.
What the hell is wrong with Canon, the printers are good,yes i think print quality is up there with HP and Epson,so why alienate customers with crap tricks like this,surely not many people will be silly enough to spend 70 to get a 60 printer serviced,and surely Canon does'ent think this will lead to repeat sales?any way thats my rant,anyone need the code email and i'll be pleased to send it,alex

d87cfv

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I think some Epsons have a similar system - just out of interest have you had to run many print head cleans? I'm supprised the waste tank has filled up so quickly. I'm a Canon reseller in the UK and have never actually had a machine back to me with this fault.

When you cleaned the waste pad, was it very heavily soaked? I do wonder whether sometimes something upsets the counter in the machine and makes the machine flag a fault prematurely.

alex

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
hi,yes several of the Epsons i've had have had this type of system(i suppose all types must,where would the ink from head cleans go to otherwise?)but at least there is a utility available on the web to take care of Epsons.
If your a Canon reseller and you read this forum then you know why you've not had a machine back!,who in their right mind would pay Canon to repair a Canon created fault,if i was a tad more cynical i would suspect its either :- a) a bloody good money earner for the service dept,or b)built in obselesence,"oh dear you've worn this printer out,never mind we have this new model out now,buy it now",sales dept doing well this month?.
Yes when i got the felt pads out there was a fair bit of ink in them,there are 5 at the side/back of the machine,each about 4"x1"x1/2" and of an "E" shape,these are fairly easy to remove with the printer case off,there are more right under the middle section of the machine and as i'd stripped as far as i really wanted,i used a syringe and large bore needle to suckout the rest,and mopped out what was left in the felt with tissue,best tip i can give to get pads clean is use neat bleach in a dish in the sink,soak the pads for 5 min then run tap and rinse them out like you do a paint roller,mine came out nice and white,squeze hard between kitchen towel to take out worst of water,then put on more tissue on a radiator overnight to dry.
Dont really know how many cleans it had done,my daughter is a Podiatrist with her own practice and prints leaflets and flyers out on a regular basis,i think as a rough guess its had between 10 and 15 sets of carts' fitted but could be slightly more,dont know for sure!.
All i do know for sure is as usual its big business rip off its customer time again!!! WHY? because dont they know that after this i'll be so P----d off with Cannon that i'll tell everybody i know what rip off artists Canon are and to buy Epson,if they had have made acess to the pads easy and cheap to buy,given clear instructions on how to change AND the reset code to clear the fault message,I would now be saying to everyone"buy a Canon they last well, print well and are simple to service"what better advertising could they want???,again rant over(does'nt anyone from Canon ever visit these forums and learn from it)Alex

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
No... they don't learn. If they would pay attention to their customers, instead of only to their shareholders, they would be better off. I'd like to know who are the geniuses who came up with that chipped cartridge idea. After the excellent I-series, and newer Pixma series, they were gaining rapidly in market share. Now....I can't recommend Canons to my customers any longer..and I know other dealers who don't sell Canon printers any longer, unless a customer specifically asks to bring one in.

So, now Canon reverts to giving away their 1600 and MP 150 model to computer companies, to give away free with the purchase of a new computer. And..you can find the ip 1600 by the carload on eBay...many go unsold at $15.00.

Stupid, stupid, stupid!!!

If I paid such little attention to what my customers want. I'd be out of business very soon. Wake up, Canon!!!!!