Canon TS202 Ink Absorber - Service Tool Fail (so far)

soysauce

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson XP&WF, HP DJ, Canon MG
I attempted but did not succeed trying to use a Canon Service Tool to reset the ink absorber count on a Canon TS202. I ended up buying Canon Service Tool 5510 from this listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/264450188444
There are lots of scary virus warnings from Windows 10 when executing the tool, but I managed to get it running, and could get the TS202 into the service mode by:
1. Pressing an holding the power button
2. Pressing and releasing the down arrow button 5 times. With each press the green light next to the power button goes off and the orange light next to the arrow button goes on, or vice-versa.
3. Releasing the power button.
At that point the service tool was connected to the TS202 printer and I could look at the EPROM contents or print a test page, for example. However, the tool would not allow me to adjust or reset the ink absorber count. It would return Error 002 every time I clicked the SET button. The seller and I exchanged many messages but the seller eventually ran out of ideas and we gave up.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Error 002 in the older service tools means that the function attempted is not supported by the printer. See this and this for an explanation of the error codes for the older service tools. I think this also applies to the newer service tools.

Some of the Canon 2 cartridge printers of earlier cartridge families are considered disposable printers. The service tool can only be used for getting the EEPROM info, not for resetting the ink absorber counter. I think the purpose of this is to see how many prints the printer has done, in case the warranty is limited by both a period and a number of prints allowed and a warranty claim is made.

Maybe the newer TS202 also is a disposable printer?

Thank you for mentioning the new version 5510 of the service tool. I might also buy one.

Last edited:

soysauce

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson XP&WF, HP DJ, Canon MG
Error 002 in the older service tools mean that the function attempted is not supported by the printer. See this and this for an explanation of the error codes for the older service tools. I think this also applies to the newer service tools.

Some of the Canon 2 cartridge printers of earlier cartridge families are considered disposable printers. The service tool can only be used for getting the EEPROM info, not for resetting the ink absorber counter. I think the purpose of this is to see how many prints the printer has done, in case the warranty is limited by both a period and a number of prints allowed and a warranty claim is made.

Maybe the newer TS202 also is a disposable printer?

Thank you for mentioning the new version 5510 of the service tool. I might also buy one.
I think you are correct that the TS202 is likely a disposable printer. I bought it on sale from the Canon website for $25! My motivation to clean the absorbers and reset the counter was environmental rather than financial. Also thank you for all your previous postings about the Canon Service Tool, which I read before attempting the reset on the TS202.