Canon service tool version 5510 or higher

Hugorm

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma IP7250, TS9150
Where can I find a service tool which is not removed by virus scanner?
I need at tool for IP7250 and Ts9150

Have found my 'old' supplier at his a-mail and got at service tool version 6000.
Working and not stopped by virus scanner.

Last edited:

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
You need to disable temporarily your antivirus in order to let the service tool to run. and reenable it again when you close the service tool. Alternatively, many antivirus programs let the user to define exceptions for a file that has been detected as a virus. The program informs you that a supposed virus has been located and asks what to do : remove directly the file, store it in the "quarantine bucket" or create an exception, ignoring the possible threat.

I purchased my service tool on Ebay from a vendor with a very good feed back. Beware of sites where you can download a Canon service tool for free. Most of those are fake and won't work at all.

David Roberts

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon TS5151
Where can I find a service tool which is not removed by virus scanner?
I need at tool for IP7250 and Ts9150

I bought ST V6000 from eBay but it only works on one PC. Windows defender and Malwarebytes didn’t pick anything up any viruses but Virus Total flagged it 12 times. Installed the software on a bare bone’s laptop with nothing important on it, so hope its fine, laptop seems fine with no issues. If I suspect any issues, I will do a full reinstall of Windows.
This is the link

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325643267908

David Roberts

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon TS5151
Trashed my TS5151 today trying to get to the Absorbers, took off one to many screws and springs started popping, the worst part about it was I had only one screw to takeout before I had access to the bottom tray, the screw was under the ink tray (don’t know the technical name for it) and wasn’t accessible with a normal screwdriver, so decided to strip more apart to allow for access, bad discission. I have now purchased some right-angle screwdrivers, which may have helped if I had them before.

I manged to change the absorbers on a MG2150 a few years back with the help from this website, I got the service manual and service tool from here, big thanks to use guys!!!, the printer is still running strong. It really annoys me when companies force planned obsolescence into perfectly good products😥.

Canon 1 V David 1

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Bad luck...:(
I never tried to clean the ink absorbers on a working Canon printer. because chances of messing something inside are very high, unless you're quite experienced with these matters and have a very good guide for performing this task. A couple of times I resetted the inkpads absorber counter on older models where you could do that using the front buttons of the machine. No need for software tools (those were the days ! ). Afterwards, I continued to use the printers with the risk of ink overflow, but that never happened, even if thousands of pages were printed after the reset.

Last edited:

David Roberts

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon TS5151
Thank for the info, next time I'll just reset the absorbers unless I can get a Service Manual .

Will be looking to buy another cheap printer; I was thinking about getting another TS5151 since I have the software now for the absorbers which I know works.

I have noticed that printers do updates now, will this stop older versions of the service tool working?

Can you or anybody else recommend a cheap printer? I usually refill the cartridges myself with cheap amazon Ink and only use the printer for office work on fast draft?

I’m sure I heard some printers don’t allow refilling of the ink cartridge, is this true?

Thanks in advance!!

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Tough question to recommend an affordable printer. I only know about Canon and not much on current models of the TS/TR series. Years ago, the first generations of Pixmas ( IP4000 to IP4500 ) were sturdy and reliable machines, lasting forever, although they had an Achilles heel; the printhead could fail without previous warning.
Nowadays the Canon models replacing those Pixmas seem to be flimsy toys not designed to last and with very small cartridges that are difficult or impossible to refill. Third party carts are a gamble.
Canon megatank models are way more expensive because what you save on inks, you pay it in advance with the printer.
Frankly, if the printhead of my Maxify MB5150 failed tomorrow. I wouldn’t even consider purchasing a Megatank or a TS/TR model, I’d get a new Maxify printhead even if it costs more than a new Canon TSxxxx.

Maybe with Epson or HP you have nowadays more sensible choices on cheap but decent printers, although I wouldn’t bet on it.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
if the printhead of my Maxify MB5150 failed tomorrow. I wouldn’t even consider purchasing a Megatank or a TS/TR model, I’d get a new Maxify printhead
Just get a new and genuine printhead now - don't wait until prices are going up at the end of the service life time , and if you don't need that printhead anymore for whatever reason you should be able to sell it without loss.

Last edited: