Canon S9000 Owners

dan_uk_1984

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I've just bought an S9000 on eBay, it's got head problems but as long as they arent electrical I'm fairly sure I should be able to sort it.

I was just wondering who else on here has one of these, and if there is anything particularly good/bad about this model. My main reason for buying it was because it's A3, and it takes the same cart's as my MP760, the BCi-6/3 plus the PC & PM.

I'll be continuing with refilling, I've had dissapointing results with compatibles and so far had no problems at all with refills. I'd be interested to know aprox how many A3 prints people are getting before they need to change cart's.

Thanks,

Dan

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
I have an i9900 (also A3 capable), which also has Red and Green inks. Ink usage is proportional to the printed area, so it is easy to scale the ink usage from other paper sizes. In my case, I keep everything in terms of "# of equivalent 8x10 prints", and I AVERAGE between 8 and 15 8x10 prints per cart. More than a year ago I started to print my images on the darker side to get a better tonal range in the skin tones (of our grandchildren, of course), and my ink usage jumped considerably. Also note that dark prints will fade more slowly than light prints, mainly because there is more ink to fade.

The point is that your ink usage can vary considerably, depending on what you print. For example, Hubble images will suck up ink, while light images (high key) will just sip it.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
The S9000 looks just like the i9100 which also will print A3. It will actually print up to 13" by 23" although the spec says 13" by 19". I wonder what's different between them. Maybe it's a part number for a different country.

dan_uk_1984

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
The S9000 looks just like the i9100 which also will print A3. It will actually print up to 13" by 23" although the spec says 13" by 19". I wonder what's different between them. Maybe it's a part number for a different country.
It seems the i9100 is the uprgaded model.

Interestingly I thought that the printheads between the S9000 and the I9100 were interchangeable. Although acording to these reviews the resolution of the i9100 is 4800x1200 & the S9000 is 2400x1200

Grandad, the I9900 is an awsome printer, I used to work for Cartridge World (reffilling company) and remember when that printer was released I was so impressed with the specs etc. I had one as a demo printer and the results from it were truly impressive.

dan_uk_1984

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Well, I'm impressed with the speed of an A3 print, having worked with HP's in the past this thing is lightning fast. But the quality isnt great at the moment, there are two nozzels blocked on the Cyan unfortunately in a row so they make for noticable lines in prints.
I'm also getting a terrible colour cast, with a blue hue to everything, I'm sure I'll sort all the problems out over time. I have a feeling both problems will be solved with some new carts as i'm mixing ink manufacturers at the moment.

Will keep you guys up to date.

Dan