canon s820 - trying to figure out which blue nozzle is which!

bytor

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have a Canon S820 printer which recently seems to have developed a clog in one of the blueish nozzles.
I'm not sure if it is the CYAN or the PHOTOCYAN and would like to find out!

I've tried the blowing compressed air method through both nozzles and that has had no effect on the problem.

I may try soaking the printhead next (or other methods?) but first I'd like to try putting in a new cartridge to be sure the cartridge is ok, but I only have a few of these blue ones to spare and I'd rather not waste one in the GOOD nozzle. (Both blue cartridges in the printer are fairly full and look ok).

In both the Canon NOZZLE CHECK PATTERN and ALIGNMENT tests, it is the blueish nozzle shown as "B" that has a problem. But which one ink cartridge is that? CYAN or PHOTO CYAN?

The nozzle check patter prints with 3 rows of 2 columns, & looks like this:

BLACK BLUE (screwed up)

RED YELLOW

BLUE (ok) RED

Then underneath that it shows 6 boxes, A is black, B is Blue (screwed up), C is red, D is blue (ok), E is red, and F is black again (why no yellow?????).

Neither of these sequences corresponds to the order of the cartridges in the printhead so I am not sure which one is which! The sequence in the printhead itself is BLACK, PHOTO CYAN, PHOTO MAG, CYAN, MAG, then YELLOW).

Also, the PRINT HEAD ALIGNMENT pattern page shows a similar order of Black, Blue, Red, Blue, Red, Black again (no yellow?), so again, I'm not sure what on paper corresponds to what cartridge in the printer.

The printer is about 2 years old and has been working 100% great all this time. I should note though, that this is my 2nd S820, my original one was replaced by Canon after continual printhead clogs despite being brand new! I went through hell for months trying to deal with that, them giving me new printheads and those getting clogged in less than 3 weeks each time (whether i used Canon inks or anything else), until finally they replaced the whole printer then "presto!" it's been fine ever since. But now this problem.

I realize there could be several explanations for the problem (the print cartridge in question being bad in some way, the print head clogged but possibly uncloggable, the printhead just being "worn out"?), but I'd next like to just try replacing the possible bad cartridge, if I can figure out which one it is!

ALSO - should this turnout to be a printhead problem - from experience I've learned that it can be easier/cheaper to just buy a new printer than buying a new printhead so - what are the latest Canon printers similar in print quality to the S820? And are there any that use the same BCI-6 cartridges (I still have some cartridges on hand and if buying a new printer would like to be able to use them)?

Thanks very much for any responses.