Canon s530d

jayjay22

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi,
Just want an opinion from you canon enthusiasts. I picked up a Canon S530D printer at a garage sale for $5. Only reason I purchased it is because I wanted a new printer to replace my HP and it was in like new shape. I figured if there was something wrong with it, I may be able to fix it. Turns out the print heads are clogged. I have tried absolutely everything to clear them, even disassembled the ceramic printhead from the rest and soaked in printhead cleaner. I cannot seem to bring it back to life. My question is, do you think it is worth it to pick up a printhead for this printer for $49? Is it a good printer? Thanks for any help you may be. :)

drc023

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, iP8720, MG6220
I don't think that would be cost effective. You can get a new Canon iP3000 from less than $50 +s&h if you do some price shopping. There is also a $20 rebate available. This would include a complete set of ink tanks and full warranty. Ebay has some good prices (I got one for $15, but it had s&h of $29.95 so the total price was still only $44.95). Be sure to read the descriptions carefully. Some have the ink cartridges removed and be sure to factor in s&h charges.

Endmukbud

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
emmhhh..... if you have a good reason to make life back maybe you should but of course it was not worthy coz i knew there is a lot printer at that price for an exchange ! :) read more of this forum part to take it a life before you put some more money !!

jayjay22

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies guys. Appreciate your time. One thing I may try is to buy a set of new cartridges for it and see if it works with them. It actually printed for awhile when I got it home, but the cartridges were almost all empty. a couple had nothing in the tanks, just the sponge was wet. I refilled them and then it printed a bit, but then it would not work anymore, now the nozzle check produces almost nothing. All the time I spent on playing with the printhead, and it may just be that I refilled the cartridges wrong. Also, I used universal ink, not canon compatible ink (Yes, I know, I was young and stupider :) I would never have done that knowing what I know now. I will try purchasing a set of carts from bulkinkjetcarts.com for about $8 and see if that fixes it. Thanks again :)

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Could also be that the carts were nearly empty for such a long time that the sponge had enough dried ink in it that it wouldn't function properly regardless of the quality of refill ink. Granddad posted a way to backflush carts for refilling when they get clogged up. If you want to play with them to try to get them to function you can consider that route.