Canon Pro10S - error 6700 continues despite new printhead

Molly2021

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro10S
As some of you may know ;) I moved my printer to another desk and from then error 6700 made itself known. It appeared that the printhead was locked. On advise from @The Hat I cut a big hole in the right side of the printer and managed to move the printhead. I cleaned the printhead and reinstalled it. Alas the same error persisted. I cleaned the printhead wipers. Nada, still same error. I purchased a new printhead from the UK, installed it and still same error 6700. I then went to eBay and bought the service tool but forgot to stop the antivirus and a warning came that the file contained VirTool:MSIL/CryptInject. Suitable nervous I haven't pursued this.

A couple of questions:

1) The black little gear with a small part portruding (which I can now access through the beautiful big hole), where does the small protruding part need to point to? Up? Down? 3 o'clock? I take it that when it points down 6 o'clock that it is between a sensor. What is the sensor for?

2) Can I take it that if both the power light and warning light are blinking continuously, my power supply is working?

3) Does anyone have a link to a service tool for the Canon Pro10S that has worked for them?

Anyone interested in the War & Peace saga, this is the original thread: https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/canon-pro10s-error-6700.15415/

Thanking all of you who have helped me in this journey of discovery :)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I moved my printer to another desk and from then error 6700 made
I wonder if your battery has died and that’s what’s giving you the 6700 error, try replacing the battery with the same type but do it when the printer is plugged into the power socket and not switched on..

The battery is located at the back on the right-hand corner of the printer and this panel is easily removed.. I don’t have the correct service tool to do a reset on the printer.. battery.JPG

Molly2021

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro10S
Thanks @The Hat! I did try to remove the back rounded panel on the RHS, but it wouldn't budge for me. The top two clips are easily undone, but it seems to be stuck somewhere at the bottom. Any tips for me on this?

Molly2021

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro10S

Molly2021

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro10S
Update: we (hubby and I) changed the battery while the printer was plugged in at the wall. My husband tested the battery we took out and it was still fine. Error 6700 persisted. I then installed and ran the service tool I bought from eBay (V5204) and the service tool displayed error 006. From reading through threads that seems to be an EEPROM issue. When trying to access the printer from the laptop it still says error 6700. It appears I now have a very big brick with a new print head! Has anyone had any success with reflashing the EEPROM by a maintenance company in Ireland?

Addendum: Is it possible that I have not entered the printer correctly into service mode. I tried the following:
press Stop button, then Power button, hold for 5 seconds then release Stop button and press this slowly 5 times, then release. Flashing of 26 Stop/Power button continues...

Last edited:

Manu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
IP8750 - Pro 10S
Hello, the way i put it on service mode was press and hold the cancel/resume button, then press ON button, led will be white. Whilst holding down ON button, release cancel/resume button and press 5 times,with each press of the cancel button the white and amber leds light up intersperse, leaving the amber led. Then release the ON button. The power led will remain white (without blinking, after a moment ) and then open the service tool.

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
It is the "Standard 5 presses" way of entering service mode. Here is a video showing the procedure. The printer model is different, but the procedure and the buttons pressed are the same. The procedure begins at 0:17 and notice at 0:33 the power LED starts flashing and at 0:46 it lights steadily. The printer has now entered service mode.

Playing the video at half speed makes it easier to see the procedure.

Molly2021

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro10S
Thank you for your help on entering service mode @Manu and @PeterBJ. I have tried this and unfortunately I am either unable to enter it into service mode or there is another issue.