Canon Pro1 troublesome printer ?

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Seeing that the last 3 threads of this subforum are dedicated to Pro1 problems, I wonder if that means that this model is very finicky/unreliable and more prone to failure than general purpose machines or even the Pro10/100 series.
In all logic Canon sells several times more Pro100 than Pro1, specially in the USA, but in this forum issues related to a Pro1 problem seem to outnumber considerably those related to a Pro100 or Pro10. Maybe it’s because of the Pro1, being a higher end printer, requires more knowledgeable care and continuous use to work trouble free, while the cheaper models are more forgiving to user “neglect”. I’m not quite convinced of this reasoning, though. IMHO possibly Canon ”goofed” a bit with that printer, either on the mechanical design, electronics or both. They released the Pro1000 not long afterwards and that one seems to be a much better machine, not only for being a wider format, but in many other aspects as well.
What do you think guys, is it worth an upgrade from a Pro10/100 to a Pro1 ?. Shouldn’t be more profitable, in the long term, to fetch a Pro1000 instead ?
Perhaps Canon will soon make this post irrelevant, by discontinuing all current Pro printers and releasing a new series on which we won’t be able to use third party consumables at all.. :fl

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Maybe it’s because of the Pro1, being a higher end printer, requires more knowledgeable care and continuous use (Very Much so)
The first thing I'd like to say about the Pro 1 is, no it is not unreliable or more prone to failure, far from it, it’s built like a tank, it’s the most misunderstood printer that has ever came out of the Canon stable. (Pro 1 =A3 / Pro 1000 =A2)

The Pro 1 is a dedicated Professional Photographers’ printer, it’s designed to give professional high-quality photo prints at the touch of a button every time, but it has a sting in its tail, and this has caused more unsuspected owners a life of misery, why ?

because it’s not your average Desktop printer and that’s what every owner failed to realise, the printer won’t tolerate messers or fiddlers and won’t print the way the owner wants it to print. (A little bit of AI involved)

This printer doesn’t take kindly to deviating away from the normal OEM inks and papers with the use of 3rd party products and once you stray from what the printer expects, then trouble will follow, and the owners are left scratching the heads in despair.

The printer has a huge comprehensive memory chip that is always active and cannot be tricked into doing something it’s not programmed to do, it has a pre-set number of rules in relation to print quality and if forced into an unusual change will print horrible or cause a fatal error.

The Pro 1 printer likes to be turned on and used regularly, it then does a cleaning cycle and is now ready to print when you have set your desired OEM Media and Profile, no other outside interferences is required even from Photo Applications.

Saying all this and such a great printer as it is, I hated the Feckin printer, because it never produced my colour setting properly for me, I was constantly doing test prints to get my colours correct, (A real time waister) and I of course insisted on using..... 3rd party Paper and Inks...

P.S. the Pro 9500 mk2 beat it hand down for my type of print work, and the moral of the story is, use only OEM products on your Pro 1 and it will last you for years..