Canon Pro-300 printing with a fade line on the print A3+

Bernard Shakey

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-300
My Canon Pro-300 ( 2 month's old ) printing On Ilford Silk Photo Paper is producing a fade line along the width of the print about 2cm from the end of the A3+ print. I do not print borderless to avoid ink overspill and only B+W. I have printed the same print twice with the same result.
There is also some ink spill on the edge which also appeared on earlier prints produced without a fade line. I have cleared excess ink from the LHS pad track using a paper towel. The photos have dust as well in spite of using a blower brush and printer cover.
Prints smaller than A3+ don't have the fade line. I am printing Mac Sonona 14.4.1 using WiFi. Printing using Canon Professional Print and Layout Software Media: Photo Paper Plus Semi Gloss.

No empty ink cartridges. Nozzle check OK . Did a Network Configuration - Network Diagnostics No problem.I have done a Roller Clean and Bottom Plate clean but haven't printed since in case that is not the issue.
I approached Canon who sent me ICC Profiles but I print in B+W so not much help there. Assistance would be greatly appreciated.
If you enlarge the photo the line becomes apparent- thanks!

Scan.jpeg

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
My Canon Pro-300 ( 2 month's old )
You might find if you print on another media paper type it won’t happen, so the question I’ll ask is your paper perfectly flat or could there be a slight curl in it, also try using the Prevent paper Abrasion setting..
Printing with the same paper selection and settings will produce exactly the same result..

Last edited:

meadow

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 200-300,L18050,G570
My Canon Pro-300 ( 2 month's old ) printing On Ilford Silk Photo Paper is producing a fade line along the width of the print about 2cm from the end of the A3+ print. I do not print borderless to avoid ink overspill and only B+W. I have printed the same print twice with the same result.
There is also some ink spill on the edge which also appeared on earlier prints produced without a fade line. I have cleared excess ink from the LHS pad track using a paper towel. The photos have dust as well in spite of using a blower brush and printer cover.
Prints smaller than A3+ don't have the fade line. I am printing Mac Sonona 14.4.1 using WiFi. Printing using Canon Professional Print and Layout Software Media: Photo Paper Plus Semi Gloss.

No empty ink cartridges. Nozzle check OK . Did a Network Configuration - Network Diagnostics No problem.I have done a Roller Clean and Bottom Plate clean but haven't printed since in case that is not the issue.
I approached Canon who sent me ICC Profiles but I print in B+W so not much help there. Assistance would be greatly appreciated.
If you enlarge the photo the line becomes apparent- than

If you enlarge the photo the line becomes apparent- thanks!

View attachment 16157
This problem is very normal. Your paper is curled up and the head hits the edge of the paper. You can see the ink on the edge of the paper. You should bend the corner of the paper down before printing

Bernard Shakey

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-300
Thank you. Problem sorted.

Bernard Shakey

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-300
You might find if you print on another media paper type it won’t happen, so the question I’ll ask is your paper perfectly flat or could there be a slight curl in it, also try using the Prevent paper Abrasion setting..
Printing with the same paper selection and settings will produce exactly the same result..
Yes the paper had a curl and I have flattened it out. The Prevent Paper Abrasion Setting is not on my mac but going to hard drive>library>printers>canon> BJPrinter>utilities>canon IJ Printer Utility2>Canon Pro-300 Series>custom settings> tick Disable Paper width detection when printing form computer Apply. This seems to be the same. Thank you for your assistance. Most appreciated. Regards