Canon Pro 100s Vs IP8750

rossi

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100s
I really dont know which one to buy.

Whichever one I choose, I wont be using Canon ink or paper. I will use compatable inks and 180gsm glossy paper from a third party paper manufacturer.

Picture quality is very important to me. I know that not using Canon ink or paper will compromise the picture quality a little, but between the two printers, will there really be a noticeable difference in picture quality?

Which of these two really does produce the best picture quality....and is there any significant difference between the two in terms of picture quality?

kdsdata

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100 & Brother-L8900
I have been using compatibles for all refills and have not been disappointed. That includes photos. If there is/was a difference it was not "apparent" on the photos I printed. The paper seemed to be a much larger factor. If I used good quality paper, I received good quality photos. Photo paper gave me photos, plain paper gave me a little better than newpaper quality (without the pixelation), better bond paper gave me magazine quality. But in defense of manufacturers inks, I have never put manufactured inks and compatibles side by side.

rossi

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100s
Thanks kdsdata. I see you have the Pro 100 model. How does this compare in picture quality to the Canon IP8750?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
between the two printers, will there really be a noticeable difference in picture quality?
Depends on what you print. Text is better typically with printers that use Pigment Black ink. The larger the printed image the more differences will be noticeable.

It is your eyes that count and not mine. If the output is acceptable to you then that is what matters. If you can, take some paper you will be using and an image on a USB flash drive to the local computer store and print it out on the demonstration printers to judge for yourself.

Which of these two really does produce the best picture quality
There is no question that the Pro-100 is capable of significantly better image reproduction. If you are selling or showing your work then the Pro-100 is the way to go. However, you might be happy with the IP8750 for your purposes. No one can make this decision for you.

I wont be using Canon ink or paper. I will use compatible inks and 180gsm glossy paper from a third party paper manufacturer.
If you want to maximize the image output from either computer then you will want to obtain or make an ICC printer profile that matches printer to the specific combination of ink and paper. You'll also want to calibrate your monitor to facilitate WYSIWYG. This can be an expensive effort with a simple to difficult learning curve. (see Colormunki Photo for a decent and less expensive solution)

If you purchase inks from Precision Colors then you can download ICC profiles for certain papers that the site's owner had made. Pretty good deal to maximize a printer's output without using OEM Canon inks and papers.

kdsdata

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100 & Brother-L8900
Thanks kdsdata. I see you have the Pro 100 model. How does this compare in picture quality to the Canon IP8750?
Sorry no experience with Canon Canon IP8750. I can only comment on Pro-100, and earlier on i9900.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
There are various parameters to consider when you compare printer models, you may look to the 'picture quality' whatever that is meant to be, printers may differ in the paper handling, max. paper thickness, max. length for custom formats, supported formats for borderless printing, printers may differ in the printing speed for comparable driver settings, printers may differ how they connect - USB, (W)LAN, whether they offer direct printing from an USB stick or memory card, and when you look up the service manuals you may find different numbers for an estimated lifetime of the hardware - for the paper feed and print mechanism.
The 'picture quality' may encompass the gamut, the overall color space the printer can produce which is driven by the inks in use, both printers use Canon dye inks which most likely will yield similar gamuts on the same type of paper. The print output may differ in the visible graininess of lighter colors - with more or less visible fine ink dots. That's normally not or just barely visible with the blank eye and only under a magnifier, Canon printers are overall very good with this with the fine 1pl droplets. And as advised already it is very recommended to use icm-color profiles for the particular ink/paper/driver settings in use. That is an optimization step to get the most out of the printer. Lots of ink suppliers promise same colors as the original inks but that does not help once you use another 3rd party paper.

rossi

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100s
Thank you everyone for your help and advice. I am now the proud owner of the Canon Pro 100s and the results are outstanding!

So once again, thank you everyone so much.

Just one question. How can I check the ink levels in the cartridges? I cant see how to do it with the Canon software.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
ow can I check the ink levels in the cartridges?

From P. 372 of the Manual (https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1...eries.html?page=372&term=ink+level&selected=5)

Checking the Ink Status from Your Computer
You can check the remaining ink level and the ink tank types for your model.
1. Open the
printer driver setup window
2. Launching the Canon IJ Status Monitor
On the Maintenance tab, click View Printer Status.
The Canon IJ Status Monitor opens and displays an image of the ink status.
Note
• The information displayed on the Canon IJ Status Monitor may differ depending on the country or
region where you are using your printer.
• When you receive a notice about the remaining ink level, a mark appears above the ink icon.
For example:
Ink tank is running low. Prepare a new ink tank.
• When you print on A3 paper or larger paper sizes, the ink may run out before printing is finished
or the printing may become faint or streaky (with white lines).
3. If necessary, click Ink Details
You can check the ink-related information.
If a warning or error related to the remaining ink amount occurs, a notification icon is displayed at the top
of the image in the Ink Details dialog box.
In such cases, take the appropriate action as described on the screen.
Note
• You can also display the Ink Details dialog box by selecting the ink icon on the Canon IJ Status
Monitor.