Canon Pro-100 and Red River UltaPro Satin - B&W

martincregg

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
Using LR I create a B&W image. I then printed it twice using the following settings:

1. Profile: RR UPSatin 4.0 CanPro-100
When the XPS Preview came up I checked that the Media Type was set to Photo Paper Plus Semi-gloss (as per the Red River recommendations) and then clicked Print

2. Profile: RR UPSatin 4.0 CanPro-100
When the XPS Preview came up I checked that the Media Type was set to Photo Paper Plus Semi-gloss (as per the Red River recommendations)
Selected Black and White Photo Print
Clicked Print

Only difference is the fact that I selected the Black and White Photo Print option.

Method 1. gave me a print that seems to have a warmish magenta look.
Method 2. gave me a print that I think is truer black and white, but looks to be slighter greenish - but that could just be when next to the first print.

Could someone help me understand if this is normal, or perhaps I've missed a setting somewhere.

Edit - I have just repeated the above using Canon Photo Paper Plus Semi-gloss paper and driver. Same result as above. Seems that selecting the B&W option in the Preview changes things. I guess that makes sense. I do think the B&W option does give a truer B&W look that matches my monitor.

Thanks - Martin

Last edited:

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Hi Martin,

I Am reasonably familiar with RR UltraPro Satin v4 as is is one of my goto papers.

I cannon recall a problem with B&W prints showing a colour tint. I Am using precision Colours refill inks - they are very close, but not exact, to OEM colours.

To be certain I will duplicate your tests, but won't be able to do it until tomorrow afternoon. Truth be told most of my latest black and white has been on my Epson 3880 because of very powerful ABW driver which makes black and white printing so simple.

Will report back with results in 24 hours

rs

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Using LR I create a B&W image. I then printed it twice using the following settings:

1. Profile: RR UPSatin 4.0 CanPro-100
When the XPS Preview came up I checked that the Media Type was set to Photo Paper Plus Semi-gloss (as per the Red River recommendations) and then clicked Print

2. Profile: RR UPSatin 4.0 CanPro-100
When the XPS Preview came up I checked that the Media Type was set to Photo Paper Plus Semi-gloss (as per the Red River recommendations)
Selected Black and White Photo Print
Clicked Print

Only difference is the fact that I selected the Black and White Photo Print option.

Method 1. gave me a print that seems to have a warmish magenta look.
Method 2. gave me a print that I think is truer black and white, but looks to be slighter greenish - but that could just be when next to the first print.

Could someone help me understand if this is normal, or perhaps I've missed a setting somewhere.

Edit - I have just repeated the above using Canon Photo Paper Plus Semi-gloss paper and driver. Same result as above. Seems that selecting the B&W option in the Preview changes things. I guess that makes sense. I do think the B&W option does give a truer B&W look that matches my monitor.

Thanks - Martin

Hi Martin,

OK - I used your method ONE and got a perfectly neutral B&W print using same paper, settings, and profile. I set quality to level 2 as the RR recommendation. Normally I use 1, but don't think is is relevant to this problem.

FULL DISCLOSURE - I print using Qimage, but that should not make any difference.

I also made sure my BLACK POINT COMPENSATION box was checked. I do that for all prints so it is permanently checked. Did you have it ticked? - it really does make a difference, but probably not what you are seeing as a colour cast.

I recall reading somewhere NOT to use Canon's image preview otherwise bad things happen. Can't recall where, but I never bother with it. Don't think is is a factor - but food for thought.

FINAL THOUGHTS (Hail Mary solutions)
Are you on PC or Mac. I have heard that some Mac drivers have had problems, but that is probably rectified by now.
Are you sure you are NOT double profiling. IE Print profile in image software AND Canon driver.

I have included a copy of the file I used for printing in case you want to give it a whirl. Not a particularly easy image to print as there is a lot of three quarter tone detail in the birds body and under the wing that need to be printed without crushing the tonal value. Making it a good test image. If the bird's body and under-wing goes solid black the entire effect of the image is lost. Welcome to B&W printing. :(

Also available to any member of this board for their PERSONAL PRIVATE use.

Let us know how you make out.

Roy Sletcher

Attachments

• Bald EagleIn flight B&W 8x10 print v02.jpg
    Bald EagleIn flight B&W 8x10 print v02.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 343

Taksmon

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L805, SC-P600
Just to check, is color management turned off in the driver when printing in color mode?
To neutralize color casts in BW prints, I do one of two things:
  1. Create a custom profile. Not all profiles are created equal, many of them do not adequately neutralize the grays.
  2. In Epson's ABW mode, I eyeball adjust the color toning controls for the ink and paper combination. I'm not sure if the Canon driver lets you do that, but you could use the Pattern Print feature in color mode to accomplish something similar

paulcroft

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
Martin
I seem to remember from a post some time ago that the option for "Black and White Photo Print" in the printer dialog box is only to be selected if your photo is currently a colour photo which you want to print in black and white. If you have already converted your photo to black and white then as I recall this option should NOT be checked.
That having been said it was a long time ago that I recall reading this advice so things may since have changed or, alternatively, I may have mis-remembered.

Latest posts