Canon Pro-10 Routine Maintenance and Best Practices

kcgoatboy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson XP-950
I received my new pro10 a week ago and so far love it. What are some best practices to keep it running smoothly and prevent a clogged printhead? Should I leave it on 24/7 or press the power button to turn it off after use, I use it over wifi so the auto shutoff timer is disabled by the printer when in wifi mode. Is printing a nozzle check once a week sufficient or should I print a 4x6 picture or larger every week? Are they any other tips that are useful for a first time pro10 owner?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Are they any other tips that are useful for a first time pro10 owner?
The best advise I can give is for you to use your printer normally and print when ever the mood takes you, your printer is capable of being left unused for weeks without needing to run test prints or nozzle checks.

But don’t leave you printer on 24/7 because it will serve no purpose, this type of printer won’t suffer from clogs and just turn it off when finished your print with the front button or use the sleep mode, its good practice not to unplug it from the wall socket..

Spittinimages

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson4000;CanonP100;Epson730
The best advise I can give is for you to use your printer normally and print when ever the mood takes you, your printer is capable of being left unused for weeks without needing to run test prints or nozzle checks.

But don’t leave you printer on 24/7 because it will serve no purpose, this type of printer won’t suffer from clogs and just turn it off when finished your print with the front button or use the sleep mode, its good practice not to unplug it from the wall socket..

Hello Hat - would you recommend this regimen for a Canon Pixma Pro 100, too?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
recommend this regimen for a Canon Pixma Pro 100, too?
@Spittinimages, This was only in reference to the Canon pigment ink printers, the Pro 100 is a different kettle of fish and therefore needs to be used much more regular, don’t leave it more than a week..

Cinevit

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-10
@The Hat, Could you explain that a bit, please? I have a Pro 10. I thought that Canon pigment printers clog more as the ink particles are bigger. And even the head cleaning cycles happen more often on Pro-10 than Pro-100 (60/120 vs 120/240 or so...). Thanks.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
@Cinevit, It’s very easy to explain, if only the Pro 10 printer owners would listen, but sadly they never seem too.

The Canon Pro pigment ink printers don’t need to be used daily to stay clog free, dare I said it again, because they are far LESS likely to suffer from clogs than their fellow dye ink printers.

Despite what you’ve heard elsewhere, this is a fact and not hear say, and the (60/120 vs 120/240 or so...) is just all scaremongering, these Pro printers are all great printers if everyone would just use them to print when they want too and stop the worrying.

It is however, advisable to use your Pro 10 as often as possible because leaving it for months on end unused may eventually cause a clog, but a maintenance cycle and a head clean will sort out the problem for you without the need to clean the head externally, that should be avoided at all costs...

P.S. If you use 3rd party inks then it is advisable to only use good quality inks from a known reputable supplier...

Cinevit

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-10
@The Hat, thanks for your feedback. BTW, would you consider the PC Inks as a known reputable supplier?