Canon Pro 10 prints darker at the beginning of the image and gradually becomes brighter

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
The nozzle test posted by @Lia looks absolutely normal to me. On the tests of my Pro10s, magenta and photomagenta densities are practically the same too. Magenta a little bit darker but the difference is very subtle, you have to look carefully to see it. Quite different from the image from Canon’s web. Likewise, cyan and photocyan are almost impossible to tell apart.
I’m using inksets from Octoink now, but my first nozzle checks with Canon OEM ink were the same in that aspect.
That printer gradient is another story, of course. Ink starvation seems a far fetched explanation. For one thing, PGI-72 carts are spongeless and the chances that the felt pad of the output became clogged enough to prevent normal inkflow seem very low. Nevertheless, during the years dealing with inkjet machines, I’ve learned that with these weird creatures nothing is impossible unless proven so and even in this case I wouldn’t bet on it.

Lia

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 10s
No it does not. Given the information you have provided so far, this is either hardware, software or user error.

- any new hardware?
- any new software?
- did you alter any software settings either in the Operating System, printer, print application, or application used to create and save the image?
- if the image was created from a scan, is it possible the scanner is malfunctioning in some fashion?

Except for another ink refill, I haven't changed anything, the exact print settings/software were used.
I created the image file in illustrator in AdobeRGB color space and printed it with illustrators print dialogue.
I let illustrator manage the color and use ICC profile I created specifically for the chosen paper.
In the printer driver, Matching is set to none, media type: plain, quality: 2.

Based on your trial of printing 4 x A5 copies on 1 sheet it seems less likely this is a paper or ink starvation issue as long as the smaller image display identical proportional alteration in color gradient as your original full size print.

I agree and it is identical.

Things to try:
1) Try a different application to print.
2) Try a different printer driver. Use a different paper type to match the driver setting as needed.
3) Make sure settings are at default for printing, at least initially.
4) Recreate a new version of the desired image. Do not keep using the same image file to print.

Thank you for the different suggestions, I will try and see if it influences the print result.
I am truly grateful for all your help!

Lia

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 10s
The nozzle test posted by @Lia looks absolutely normal to me. On the tests of my Pro10s, magenta and photomagenta densities are practically the same too. Magenta a little bit darker but the difference is very subtle, you have to look carefully to see it. Quite different from the image from Canon’s web. Likewise, cyan and photocyan are almost impossible to tell apart.
I’m using inksets from Octoink now, but my first nozzle checks with Canon OEM ink were the same in that aspect.
That printer gradient is another story, of course. Ink starvation seems a far fetched explanation. For one thing, PGI-72 carts are spongeless and the chances that the felt pad of the output became clogged enough to prevent normal inkflow seem very low. Nevertheless, during the years dealing with inkjet machines, I’ve learned that with these weird creatures nothing is impossible unless proven so and even in this case I wouldn’t bet on it.

Thank you for sharing your experience with the nozzle check, it reassured me :)

Lia

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 10s
Things to try:
1) Try a different application to print.
2) Try a different printer driver. Use a different paper type to match the driver setting as needed.
3) Make sure settings are at default for printing, at least initially.
4) Recreate a new version of the desired image. Do not keep using the same image file to print.

After recreating a new version of the file-
-Tried to print it again from illustrator and then from Acrobat as a pdf > The results remained the same.
- I am not sure what you meant in default settings for printing, defaults for the chosen media type (like quality, tray, and paper size)?

Another thought that has occurred to me, is it possible for a cartridge or printhead functionality to get damaged by printing the same shade repeatedly? a damage that wouldn't necessarily be seen in a nozzle check?
It might be a reach but since I am out of other ideas at the moment, it made me consider buying and installing a brand new Cyan & PhotoCyan carts just to see what happens.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
- I am not sure what you meant in default settings for printing, defaults for the chosen media type (like quality, tray, and paper size)?
Default settings are the settings of software or hardware that are as if newly installed. In other words, you haven't played with the controls to modify or customize. This does not mean the setting for Paper Type or which paper tray to use. Quality setting may be debatable - I would not alter from default yet.

After recreating a new version of the file-
-Tried to print it again from illustrator and then from Acrobat as a pdf > The results remained the same.
Seems like the issue is with the image file itself. Can you print the file using a different printer?

Have you tried any other images that have a fairly uniform swath of Cyan to see if the issue occurs?

printhead functionality to get damaged
Maybe, or the electronic components in the printer itself. But lets see if this problem duplicates itself with other images first.

Is the printer still under warranty?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Ink starvation seems a far fetched explanation. For one thing, PGI-72 carts
Based on her results of printing 4 x A5 copies on 1 sheet that are each identical in proportion to the original gradient issue makes it more a metaphysical certitude that there is no ink starvation regardless of the cartridge type.

Lia

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 10s
I just printed a new image file containing 4 rectangles, each in a different light-Blue/Cyan tint.
The gradient appears in each of the rectangles in the same position.

It seems to me like a hardware issue, but unfortunately, the printer isn't under warranty anymore.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Have you set the printer and application to default? Let the printer manage the printing, not the application.

Lia

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 10s
Have you set the printer and application to default? Let the printer manage the printing, not the application.
In illustrator, there's no direct way to let the printer manage the color, so I first had to save it as a PDF.
In Acrobat print dialogue> advanced> I chose "Printer Color Management" and in the printer driver, I changed Matching to "Auto".
The results remained the same.

I also tried to print 4 solid color rectangles, like before, but this time with Magenta shades.
I did this in order to see if the same phenomena occurs and it didn't, all 4 of the solid shades look perfectly fine!
Therefore, my bet is that the problem derives from the C or PC cartridges.
At the moment I possess 1 extra Photo Cyan cartridge, I'll try to print with it instead of the installed one.
If the problem persists, I'll purchase another Cyan cart and check again...
If this stubborn gradient's still there, then :barnie and I'll have to modify the layout so at least it could be trimmed off after printing.
The shade still won't be totally accurate but it would have to suffice, at least for the current project.
Maybe, later on, I'll try to contact a local Canon lab.

Thank you guys for all your thoughts & suggestions, I really appreciate it!
If anyone has additional ideas, I'd be happy to read.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
In illustrator, there's no direct way to let the printer manage the color, so I first had to save it as a PDF.
I do not use Illustrator but I did find this:

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/printing-color-management.html

If both the printer and application are set to manage color then errors may occur in the printed result. If the printer or application, which ever is set to manage color, is incorrectly set up for color management then errors can occur as well.

I also tried to print 4 solid color rectangles, like before, but this time with Magenta shades.
I did this in order to see if the same phenomena occurs and it didn't, all 4 of the solid shades look perfectly fine!
Depending on how the test image was set up, other colors besides Magenta may be used in printing the rectangles. Without an image of this to examine, and that image be some sort of standardized image we can interpret, then I do not know what to make of your experiment.

Was the rectangle image something you found on the internet? Or, did you make the test image yourself? If so, what application did you use to make the image? Was the printer managing color or the application or both when you printed it out?

Therefore, my bet is that the problem derives from the C or PC cartridges.
My bet is user error with the creation of the image, the application set up, and/or set up of the printer.

Something else to try to help rule in or out a color management issue... download an image from a trusted source that has Cyan gradients that you did not create yourself. Use a simple application that does not do color management at all so that you are sure only your printer will be managing color. Use default settings with the printer. Of course proper paper type and size will need to be selected.

You can try printing your troublesome file with a different printer as I suggested previously and see what happens. If the problem persists then you know it is due to the creation of the file, as long as you do not alter default settings with the new computer / printer. If the problem no longer occurs then it is probably in settings of the printer and/or application.