Canon Pro 10 inks - using OEM inks from larger capacity carts

langdonb

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 10
Hello all
Does anyone know what large format Canon printer use inks that are compatible with Canon Pro-10 printers? I want to be able to use one or two colors of OEM inks harvested from high capacity large format carts and fill PGI 72 carts. Thanks!

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
It depends on what do you mean by compatible. AFAIK, PGI-72 carts are used only by Canon Pro10/10s models. Larger format machines ( Pro1000 and above ) use different set of inks. Apart from having colors not used by the Pro10s (more shades of grey, blue, etc..). I assume that the other inks aren’t the same either. I.e. PGI-72 yellow magenta or cyan in all logic will have different tonality, gamut and physical characteristics of the yellow, magenta or cyan used by larger Prograf printers.
Therefore, collecting OEM ink from big carts to use it on a Pro10s means a wearisome task of finding by trial and error if, lets say, the Cyan ink from a big cart can be used with good results in the Pro10S with a custom profile, or if the gamut of both inks is so different that it’s no use.

This is my uneducated guess, Maybe this task has been done already. Fellow member Mikling (aka Precision Colors ) surely knows a lot about this matter. He or the owner of Octoinkjet (another member here) are surely the people who could answer positively your question.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
I believe the first small format Canon pigment printer, the PRO 9500, used the same Lucia inks as large format models and thus it could be done.
But in the mean time 3th party inks are at the same level and will cost you less.

As said, from the PRO-10 on Canon made specific ink sets.

Unless you want to use the printer for non critical jobs as poster printing etc, buy your ink at Precision Colors or Octoinkjet.