Canon PRO-1 OEM + replacement inks. Good Idea ?

Jasiek

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma PRO-1
Hello,

I currently have replacement cartridges in my PRO-1. Some of them are running out of ink. I have at my disposal 8 new, original PGI-29 inks. Will replacing 8 inks with original ones and leaving temporarily 4 substitutes not cause some kind of disaster? The print quality will not suffer much? I will certainly buy these 4 originals soon but I want to make some prints until then.

The second issue Is there any profiles for newbie Ilford Studio papers - for example Matt? I will be grateful for information

Regards
Jan

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The second issue Is there any profiles for newbie Ilford Studio papers - for example Matt? I will be grateful for information
If you are mixing two different ink carts in your printer, you’ve got no chance ever of getting any profiles to match you circumstance, and until you get all new OEM carts installed and do a system flush to remove the existing ink mix, then maybe someone can help.. Sorry but it’s going to get expensive..

Jasiek

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma PRO-1
You are absolutely right. Leaving these 4 replacements makes it pointless to use ICC profiles. Is System Flush the same process as Deep Cleaning? It says that it uses " extremely large amount of ink" How much is "extremely large amount" :)
If you are mixing two different ink carts in your printer, you’ve got no chance ever of getting any profiles to match you circumstance, and until you get all new OEM carts installed and do a system flush to remove the existing ink mix, then maybe someone can help.. Sorry but it’s going to get expensive..

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Is System Flush the same process as Deep Cleaning? It says that it uses " extremely large amount of ink" How much is "extremely large amount"
You should use Deep cleaning very cautiously, because it can cause the print head to overhead, using once every 12 hours is safe enough..

System clean is very wasteful, because it flushes out all the ink from the internal tubing, it will use approx. 35% of the contents of every cart.. This will also add ink to your waste pads..

Jasiek

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma PRO-1
What should I do once I have all 12 original PGI-29 inks installed. How to get rid of the existiing ink mix? Will deep cleaning do the thing ?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
What should I do once I have all 12 original PGI-29 inks installed. How to get rid of the existiing ink mix? Will deep cleaning do the thing ?
Please read post #4 again, but the answer is still no..
You have no alternative but to use up the ink by printings 100 plus sheets or system clean..

Jasiek

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma PRO-1
Please read post #4 again, but the answer is still no..
You have no alternative but to use up the ink by printings 100 plus sheets or system clean..
Pardon my ignorance but I still do not know how to do system clean. Is it something I can do using management tool ?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pardon my ignorance but I still do not know how to do system clean. Is it something I can do using management tool ?
You didn’t ask or say you needed help to run a system clean…

To run the system clean you open Printing Preferences / then click on Maintenance Tab and in there you’ll see the system Clean button, and if you sure you can click on it and then wait 20 minutes for the whole operation to finish.

When you printer goes quiet you can then use your printer as normal with the correct ICC Profiles for the Media you intend using..