Canon Printing onto Envelopes

MarkW19

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to print onto DL envelopes with my Canon ip4200, but the printer always marks the page with random ink marks/smudges.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

billkunert

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Envy 5530e
You may have to do the bottom plate cleaning procedure if your printer version has such a procedure. My MP600 does.

MarkW19

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
billkunert said:
You may have to do the bottom plate cleaning procedure if your printer version has such a procedure. My MP600 does.
Hi, I've already done that 3 times unfortunately, as well as many cleans/deep cleans/aligns and everything else possible :)

Thanks.

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
If not, remove the carts and printhead. Then clean the bottom of the printhead with damp tissues.

dan_uk_1984

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Mine does this ocasionally, I get a peice of paper and fold it in half and feed it through the roller cleaning process a few times, and stick a sheet of thick parchment type paper through and print a word doc with a full stop on every line at each side of the page.

Usually does the trick, if you print envelopes regularly then the problem should go away. I print postage now, and had smudge problems first off but now i do it all the time they are clean....

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
You are using the rear paper tray to supply the envelopes, aren't you?

And what does DL mean?

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I don't know much about the ip4200, but my i960 has a software utility that adjusts for heavier paper stock. It is in Maintenance/custom settings/ prevent paper abrasion.

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
ghwellsjr,

Quote from a seller:
"DL (Dimension Lengthwise) Envelope A4 in thirds
This is for an A4 sized document that is folded over twice to create 3 roughly equal sections. A DL envelope measures 22cm in width and 11cm in height. DL envelopes are generally used for single page letters and similar (usually short) correspondence; however the need to fold each letter twice creates creases which can sometimes look unprofessional if there are more than two pages."

A4 is a European size paper.

MarkW19

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
dan_uk_1984 said:
Mine does this ocasionally, I get a peice of paper and fold it in half and feed it through the roller cleaning process a few times, and stick a sheet of thick parchment type paper through and print a word doc with a full stop on every line at each side of the page.

Usually does the trick, if you print envelopes regularly then the problem should go away. I print postage now, and had smudge problems first off but now i do it all the time they are clean....
Thanks for the suggestions.

I've just done the folded paper thing on the "Bottom Plate Cleaning" 3 times, but on "cleaning" and "deep cleaning" it doesn't use any paper, so I can't fold it in half and feed it through, is that what you meant?

Also, what gsm would you class as thick parchment type? I have some 300 and 320gsm thin card, would that be OK for the full stop thing?

Thanks,

Mark

KnightCrawler

Printer Guru
Reaction score
The bottom plate cleaning really should clean it up but maybe you have been doing a lot of borderless pictures and it has over sprayed ink all over.

This is the option:
88743_printermaintenanceoptions.jpg