Canon Printer and custom paper sizes

SpideRMaN

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Hi all,

Is it possible to add custom paper sizes to MP980 (Canon) printer ?

I purchased some 6 x 8 photo paper but the size is not in the list when printing from Photo Shop or Canon Easy photoprint pro

Thanks !!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
SpideRMaN Is it possible to add custom paper sizes to MP980 (Canon) printer ?
If you go to page setup in printing preferences
Then on paper size open the tab and scroll to the very bottom where youll find "custom"
There you can add in the exact size that you want without any trouble.. :)

SpideRMaN

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

The problem is that I don't have the "Custom" option in the page size of the printer driver

EDIT
I am trying to print borderless on 6 x 8 photo paper

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
SpideRMaN The problem is that I don't have the "Custom" option in the page size of the printer driver
I wasnt aware that they had remove custom sizes from your model printer.
That size is outside the borderless range in all Canon printers anyway.

Yes I know but unless it conforms to what Canon deems appropriate sizes then its a no go.
Borderless printing is just another area that beggars belief and Canon Inc couldnt care less.. :(

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Sound's like a soluion mightbe to use larger paper and use a paper cutter?

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
SpideRMaN,
On my Pro 9000-2 and iP4500, the Borderless option removes the Custom option. If you uncheck Borderless, the Custom option may return. YMMV.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
SpideRMaN said:
Thanks for your reply.

The problem is that I don't have the "Custom" option in the page size of the printer driver

EDIT
Hi Spiderman

Don't know if following work-around will function on your printer. I use it on my Pro9000 MK 11 without any problems.

I have a need to print 7 x 10 border-less, and as soon as I select border-less the custom size tab is no longer available as mentioned by a previous poster. The following, or a variation on it may work on your printer.

1: Select letter size border-less.

2: Using your printing software (PhotoShop or whatever - I use Qimage) align your image to top and left edges with the image sized to the paper size you will be printing.

3: Insert and run your reduced size paper. 6 x 8 in your case. The leading edge and left edge of the paper will coincide with the same edges in your printing software. The missing right side and back is on no consequence because NO image and NO paper.

4: On the PRO9000 I have to go to the maintenance tab and deselect "detect paper width" to make it run trouble free. If you don't have that command, possibly you could set the right size guide to 8 inches so the printer thinks it is feeding a letter size sheet.

Hope this helps. You could play around with variations on the above theme until you find a solution.

Roy Sletcher

SpideRMaN

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
thanks for your replies

using profiles I am very close (printing from photpshop) to the results of easy photoprint pro plugin

does anyone know what settings does this plugin uses ? .... I have profiles switched off from this plugin and using photo color as print mode. the results look perfect to me (matched to the screen) but cannot use it for 6 x 8 paper :(

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
SpideRMaN
Have you tried the neat little trick that Roy Sletcher mentioned yet?
Roy Sletcher
1: Select letter size border-less.

2: Using your printing software (PhotoShop or whatever - ) align your image to top and left edges with the image sized to the paper size you will be printing.

3: Insert and run your reduced size paper. 6 x 8 in your case. The leading edge and left edge of the paper will coincide with the same edges in your printing software. The missing right side and back is on no consequence because NO image and NO paper.

4: On the PRO9000 I have to go to the maintenance tab and deselect "detect paper width" to make it run trouble free. If you don't have that command, possibly you could set the right size guide to 8 inches so the printer thinks it is feeding a letter size sheet.
It just might work and could be just what youre looking for to solve your 6x8 print problem..

SpideRMaN

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
yes, I tried that and it works pretty well

the problem is that when I print from PS (using MP980 printer profiles) I get poor results compared to when I print same test image through easy photoprint pro photoshop plugin (canon) but the PS plugin is missing the 6x8 :(

I am testing many profiles to try to achieve the same result of the plugin (so that I can start printing from PS instead of the plugin) but I am failing everytime :(

Thank you !!