Canon Pixma Pro One - nozzle check help

Tracey

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro One
Hi

Wondered if anyone could help with a problem with my Canon Pixma Pro One. I mainly print black and white prints on this printer and noticed a green cast on prints just before Christmas. Ran nozzle check and first one showed the GY blocked and problems with the PC M and PM. I did all the cleans and printed more nozzle checks. The GY then came right but still getting the same results with the others - have scanned and attached the two nozzle checks showing the before and after.

The printer still turns on and prints with no error messages but with a cast so have stopped using. I usually print a couple of prints per day. I use Canon inks.

Worried if I get a tech out to it they will say new print head which may prove fruitless if it turns out to be an electrical firing thing? Has anyone tried to take the print head out and clean as a last resort or has it died? Most of the inks are near new so don't want to throw more money at it if it could be dead?

Thanks

Attachments

• SCN_0109.pdf
    5.1 MB · Views: 339

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hi @Tracey and welcome, no matter which type of work you do on your printer, you should always start the day with a nozzle check and if it’s good then proceed to print away happy knowing your machine is in perfect working order.

When a Canon printer develops a printout issue you should stop all work immediately and run a cleaning cycle followed by a nozzle check to determine the extent of the problem, which may need further cleaning to resolve.

But if you continue to print unknowingly then the print issue becomes a major problem as in your case, and no amount of cleaning will resolve the problem, because when the print head gets starved of ink, that causes some of the nozzles to overheat and stop working.

You now have two ways of correcting your print problem, and calling a technician out is not one of them, you can either source a new print head from an Authorised dealer and fitted yourself or call it day and move on.

Print heads are not cheap and when you install a new head the printer will flush out any ink that’s in the system and replace it with fresh new ink, (About 35%) so you’re going to have to include ink in you costs.

As you are not in the land of the cheap printer deals, (US) I really don’t know what your going to do, because this will have to be your decision, I was going to suggest a Pro 10 as a good option, but I have no idea what they cost down under, sorry for the bad news...

P.S. Cleaning the head externally is not an option on a Pro 1 printer...
O' and a Happy New Year on the North Island..:hide

Tracey

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro One
Thanks so much for quick reply. Happy New Year :)

I thought that might be the case so appreciate your advice. I have been looking at buying a new printer so I can print on 17 x 22-inch sheets as well so upgrading now might be better than risking trying to get this one back on the road. Yes no cheap deals here in NZ, unfortunately, ha ha downside of living on an island :) Any tips on a good printer that will print up to 24 inch. I only really print on Breathing Color fine art papers cut sheet?

Cheers

Tracey

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Any tips on a good printer that will print up to 24 inch.
Be prepared for sticker shock. :ep

To get an idea of Canon printers that print up to 24" or more take a look here. These are USA prices, so YMMV.

If at all possible, see the output of the printer in person, preferably on the media you like, before buying.

Tracey

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro One
Thanks will have a look good tip about seeing them in action too