Canon Pixma Pro 9000 Mark II Problem + New Recommendation?

FireEmblem

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
Hi everyone! I have a problem with my printer. It has been working fine but lately it has had problems with white lines, white bands, or missing ink on pictures. I have done everything I could possibly think of. I tried regular cleaning twice, deep cleaning 7 times which used up a lot of ink and didn't do a thing! I have tried taking the print head out and running hot water to clean out the ink and this has worked before but this time I think there might be a problem with the print head. The problem started when I kept printing even when the ink was low. I didn't know the ink was low because the supply levels didn't update so I thought the inks were still full. I kept printing until I saw some pictures had white speckles on the black colors. I then checked the ink cartridges and it turns out 3 of the colors were already empty (red, green, photo magenta) but somehow it was still printing. I have tried replacing all the cartridges but the white lines are still there. Are there any other solutions before I decide on a new printer?

Are there any Canon printer recommendations? I prefer being able to print from the rear tray because I sometimes use thicker card stock paper 80lb Color Copy Digital Cover and sticker paper. I don't really need an all in one printer because I only print stickers.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• test print.JPG
    test print.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 520

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
You have answered you own question when you said: “The problem started when I kept printing even when the ink was low.”

Canon printers will not work for very long without ink passing through the print head continuously, that’s the nature of the beast.

At the very first sign of poor ink flow, its imperative that you stop all print jobs and investigate the problem immediately, failing to do this results in your print head been damaged beyond repair.

It’s quite common to suspect that the print head has a problem, but in fact it’s usually always the cartridges that’s causing problem, are you using OEM carts, compatibles or refillables. ?

You might try soaking the print head in some soft warm water and a couple of drops of Dreft in about 2 inches deep, but I suspect the nozzles are already damaged, but you can still try.

A good replacement would be a Canon Pro 100 at half the price of a new print head in the sales...

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
To add a bit more detail to Moderator @The Hat 's description... Canon print heads heat up during use and require the cooling liquid ink to prevent irreparable nozzle burnout. The straight line loss of ink in several of the patches on the nozzle check you posted look electronic or mechanical in appearance, such as from nozzle burnout. At this point, soaking the print head in liquid dish washing soap such as Dawn or Fairy (not the kind used in dishwashers!) is your last resort hope.

The Canon Pro-100 is a dye-based printer like your 9000 and would be a logical replacement for quality image reproduction. The printer can be had for $130 after rebates from B&H Photo or Adorama in the USA.

Concerning your desire to use 80 lb card stock, see https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52707083 first post and then @jtoolman 's post at the bottom of the replies who states using 96 lb stock. Jtoolman is a member on this forum and quite knowledgeable on these printers.

FireEmblem

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
You have answered you own question when you said: “The problem started when I kept printing even when the ink was low.”

Canon printers will not work for very long without ink passing through the print head continuously, that’s the nature of the beast.

At the very first sign of poor ink flow, its imperative that you stop all print jobs and investigate the problem immediately, failing to do this results in your print head been damaged beyond repair.

It’s quite common to suspect that the print head has a problem, but in fact it’s usually always the cartridges that’s causing problem, are you using OEM carts, compatibles or refillables. ?

You might try soaking the print head in some soft warm water and a couple of drops of Dreft in about 2 inches deep, but I suspect the nozzles are already damaged, but you can still try.

A good replacement would be a Canon Pro 100 at half the price of a new print head in the sales...

Thank you for your help. Yes, that's very unfortunate because it has always been able to alert me when the ink was low but this time it didn't and when I checked the supply levels it still displayed full so I just kept printing until I saw that the ink wasn't as dark. I will make sure to be careful from now on. I am using third party ink from ebay for about 3 years now. I will give your suggestion a try!

FireEmblem

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
To add a bit more detail to Moderator @The Hat 's description... Canon print heads heat up during use and require the cooling liquid ink to prevent irreparable nozzle burnout. The straight line loss of ink in several of the patches on the nozzle check you posted look electronic or mechanical in appearance, such as from nozzle burnout. At this point, soaking the print head in liquid dish washing soap such as Dawn or Fairy (not the kind used in dishwashers!) is your last resort hope.

The Canon Pro-100 is a dye-based printer like your 9000 and would be a logical replacement for quality image reproduction. The printer can be had for $130 after rebates from B&H Photo or Adorama in the USA.

Concerning your desire to use 80 lb card stock, see https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52707083 first post and then @jtoolman 's post at the bottom of the replies who states using 96 lb stock. Jtoolman is a member on this forum and quite knowledgeable on these printers.

Thank you, I didn't know that, but now with this new found knowledge I will try to take better care of future printers. I will try soaking it in dawn. I have a question though is it ok for the contacts to touch the water and how long should I try to soak it for? Also thanks for the suggested printer, I will look into it.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
is it ok for the contacts to touch the water and how long should I try to soak it for?
Dawn plus water in a container to a level to just above the inner ink inlet ports on the print head. This is where the cartridge outlet port (stubby cylinder at bottom of cartridge) connects to the print head to deliver ink. I use as much Dawn as I would if I were washing dishes. There is not scientific amount determined.

To begin, flush the print head with copious water to clear ink from the nozzles then soak for at least one day. You can soak as long as you have the patience, though it is unlikely that a month of soaking will improve results!

Some like to place wadded up kitchen paper towels in the bottom of the container and occasionally plunge the print head up and down in the water onto the towels to "force" the soapy solution into the print head bottom nozzle area.

When done with soaking, thoroughly rinse the print head (using distilled or deionized water for final rinse if your tap water is heavy with minerals). Let the print head dry thoroughly before putting back in print head to avoid an electrical short across the contacts and causing irreparable damage. Make sure not to lose any rubber/silicon O-rings or gaskets that may be inside the ink inlet ports of the print head -- usually they stay in place but better to be aware of them -- otherwise your cartridge will not make a sufficient seal with the print head and ink may leak and/or loss of ink to the print head.

Make sure you are using good working cartridges. You do not want to have a poorly flowing cartridge that causes ink starvation tricking you into thinking it is the print head when it is not. Run a regular cleaning cycle and then a nozzle check. No other printing than nozzle checks. If the nozzle check is not perfect, or acceptable to you, then either retry soaking or post the nozzle check and detail what you have done up to that point so we can give further advice.

FireEmblem

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Dawn plus water in a container to a level to just above the inner ink inlet ports on the print head. This is where the cartridge outlet port (stubby cylinder at bottom of cartridge) connects to the print head to deliver ink. I use as much Dawn as I would if I were washing dishes. There is not scientific amount determined.

To begin, flush the print head with copious water to clear ink from the nozzles then soak for at least one day. You can soak as long as you have the patience, though it is unlikely that a month of soaking will improve results!

Some like to place wadded up kitchen paper towels in the bottom of the container and occasionally plunge the print head up and down in the water onto the towels to "force" the soapy solution into the print head bottom nozzle area.

When done with soaking, thoroughly rinse the print head (using distilled or deionized water for final rinse if your tap water is heavy with minerals). Let the print head dry thoroughly before putting back in print head to avoid an electrical short across the contacts and causing irreparable damage. Make sure not to lose any rubber/silicon O-rings or gaskets that may be inside the ink inlet ports of the print head -- usually they stay in place but better to be aware of them -- otherwise your cartridge will not make a sufficient seal with the print head and ink may leak and/or loss of ink to the print head.

Make sure you are using good working cartridges. You do not want to have a poorly flowing cartridge that causes ink starvation tricking you into thinking it is the print head when it is not. Run a regular cleaning cycle and then a nozzle check. No other printing than nozzle checks. If the nozzle check is not perfect, or acceptable to you, then either retry soaking or post the nozzle check and detail what you have done up to that point so we can give further advice.

Thanks! I will come back with results in a few days.

FireEmblem

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model

Ok! I am back with the results! After cleaning the print head very thoroughly with dawn, washing out all of the ink that was in the print head with warm/hot water, I did a cleaning cycle and nozzle check. The test print was exactly the same for black and cyan. There was a white line across in the exact same spot. It's unfortunate but I think it maybe time to replace the printer. I will make sure to take care of my new one! This was a good experiment though I washed the print head and dipped it in a container even with the contacts but I let it fully dry for a whole week and the printer was still able to recognize the print head which is amazing. I thought it would have ruined the contacts. I'd like to say thank you to The Hat and Thank you to Stratman for the in depth cleaning guide and help.

Edit: I may hang on to this printer because it can still print documents very clearly just not pictures.

Last edited:

ninj

Print Addict
Reaction score
Before you completely give up on the printer it might be worth having one more go. I had a similar, though less severe, problem that didn't resolve fully on first soaking. It took a second attempt to get results. If you have a significant amount of dried ink in the blocked nozzles it may take several soakings to break it all down enough for ink to flow again.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@FireEmblem, we appreciate you coming back with your update, unfortunately it wasn’t what we’d all hoped it would be and the head is now beyond saving, but it’s a good idea to keep it for text documents, at least until you run out of your current ink stock.

When you get your new printer, and you decide to refill your carts, always remember please, to refill your carts when they first show low ink, and don’t wait until it runs out, this procedure can prevent a similar thing happing again...