Canon Pixma Pro 10s issue with manual feed

Roberto Smith

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon
About a week ago I sold my 18 month old Canon Pixma Pro 10s to someone who wants to use it to print on art-type canvas. He contacted me this morning saying although the front tray works fine, he can't get it to print via the manual feed at the rear. He says he's following the right process but keeps getting a "no paper is loaded" error message.

Before I sold him the printer I checked it worked from the front loader but must admit I forgot to check the manual feed, although I have used it before about 6 months ago to print on art canvas and it was fine.

Does have anyone have any ideas? I had to drive 2 hours (4 there and back) to deliver him the printer so hoping it's not actually broken as I'll need to go pick it up!

Thanks in advance :)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Does have anyone have any ideas?
The Canon printers are very iffy when it comes to using the back tray feed.

It’s as much a software setup (Media Settings) as a manual one, so your choice of media setting is critical, I don’t have a Pro 10 but on the Pro 9500 it needed to have the front tray raised up a bit for the back feed to work, any of the above can cause it not to print.

Get the guy to check that the front and back tray are correctly set and in align, I always had so much trouble remembering how to do that, so I stopped using the back tray altogether..
P.S. read the instructions carefully again..

Roberto Smith

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon
Hi Mr Hat, thanks for the advice. I will pass it on and see if he has any luck. :)

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Using the manual feed tray with the Pro10 is way easier than with the Pro9000, where you had to pull out the manual tray from the bottom in the front, feed the paper there, push some buttons in the printer panel, wait for the paper to be pulled inside to the rear and so on... Never remembered the procedure and I had to read the manual every time. Like @The Hat, I seldom used that tray, being so much hassle.
Not so much with the Pro10. You only need to pull up the manual tray from the rear, fit the paper there adjusting the guides at the sides, to center the sheet and be sure that the bottom of the paper is really well seated ( i.e. it can't go further down ). Of course, you must select ‘manual feed’ instead of the default ‘rear tray’ in the paper source tag of the driver.
I tried now with normal paper, simulating it was photo paper in the driver, and it worked flawlessly. If the person who purchased your Pro10 is doing it right, then something is amiss with the machine, but I’d tell him to check again that the sheet is correctly seated at the bottom of the tray and that the side guides are well adjusted but not too tight or the paper might get stuck.

Latest posts