Canon Pixma Pro 100s Injket & Going On Holiday for 2 Weeks

Picard

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
I'm due to go away for 2 weeks at the back end of August and am wondering if there's anything I can do to help prevent my print head from clogging due to not being used for that time. I have a Canon Pixma Pro 100s inkjet and have been told that up to one week without use it normally fine but two weeks and beyond you're risking a clogged printed. I'd rather not come back from holiday needing to pay £120 for a new head so is there anything I can do with the printer to make it less likely to clog whilst I'm away?
Take it with you!

RogerR

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro-100
I frequently go a month or more with my Pro-100. The only clog I've had in six years was about 6 months ago and that one was definitively due to the fact that my inks were ~6 years old. When I refilled with new Precision Colors ink, one of the carts had significant sludge. I did swap printheads at that time since I had one around. But I washed the old one out and I suspect it's fine.

I feel guilty if I go more than a month without printing something. But it's never caused problems for me.

Alexey

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
I usually leave Pro-100 off and unplugged for a year, run a nozzle check and all is well. Did it 3 years in a row with no clogs so far.

DaveReading

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Photosmart D5160
I'm due to go away for 2 weeks at the back end of August and am wondering if there's anything I can do to help prevent my print head from clogging due to not being used for that time. I have a Canon Pixma Pro 100s inkjet and have been told that up to one week without use it normally fine but two weeks and beyond you're risking a clogged printed. I'd rather not come back from holiday needing to pay £120 for a new head so is there anything I can do with the printer to make it less likely to clog whilst I'm away?
If you're concerned about your printer needing exercise while you're away, there are any number of utilities out there (2Printer.exe, for example) that will output a page (image or text) to the printer at intervals (use Windows Task Scheduler, or whatever the Mac equivalent is, to define the frequency).

Just remember to turn off "Preview before printing" in your printer driver !

Though, as other posters have noted, there's probably no need other than simply peace of mind.