CAnon PIXMA PRO-100 print speed difference

bhill

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA PRO-100
Good Day All, I am seeing something VERY odd with the print speed throughput my 2 Pro-100's. Both have the same FW, same driver and same print job, yet the printer that is newer prints almost twice as fast as my 2 year old Pro-100. Was there a change to the mechanical or logic to cause this?

Thanks!

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Very interesting and strange. I don’t recall reading about this question before, probably because only a few users run two identical machines at the same time and nobody else had bothered to check.

You don’t say if your two Pro100s are connected to the computer in the same way, be it USB or Wireless. If not, it could make a difference although, in all logic, the speed limiting factor of a printer shouldn’t be the interface but the mechanics.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@bhill, you have come up with a very interesting conundrum, it there a difference in the old / new Pro 100’s.

If the two printers have the same Firmware and the same print driver, then there can’t be any different, even printers that have USB1 and USB2 connection will run at the same speed.

But the bigger question you should ask yourself is, what’s the print quality between the two like, because when if come to print quality the slower the better, an option you should check on both printers that might make a print speed difference is Quite Mode, or drying time.

One of my biggest annoyances with the newer Canon printers is you must be connected to the internet before you can install the print driver for a new printer, and then, this is when Canon stealthy checks all your installed Canon print drivers and in some cases resets your print setting back to default.

So, Check all you Canon printers to see if you have retained your own print setting after installation of newer printers, this is only a Canon thing, it doesn’t affect other printer brands..

WilloBee

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
CANON MG6620/5620 IX6520
The slower machine may be using the windows print driver, and the faster one not.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
There are several variable that may be in play which other posters here have commented on.

Are both printers connected to the same computer? If not, are both computers exactly the same hardware and software?

WiFi printing has been known to be slow compared to USB for some people. Are both printers connected to the printer by USB, wireless, or a combination? Wireless communication can be affected by distance/positioning of the printer, solid objects in the pathway of the signal, electrical interference from other devices (eg refrigerators, microwaves, baby monitors, etc), and other people's router WiFi signals (sharing a channel to transmit and receive).

If you are using USB then it may be possible that the version of your computer's USB (I, II, III) could affect speed of the transfer of data.

As you might conclude, there are many ways the transfer of data between printer and computer can have bottlenecks.

A simple test to narrow down what may be the cause of the slowness is to swap the printers and see if the issue persists with the original problem child or now has afflicted the previously speedy printer.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
If connecting with WIFI, then there could be a reception issue with one machine. That speed could end up being locked into the router for that machine. It comes down to the intelligent software inside the router. Once my Pro-100 which is 10 feet from my router, slowed down and then stopped. I turned off and on and all was restored to normal. Remember that with digital signals all sorts of handshakes and testing for reliable speeds are continually happening.
If you've ever looked at what happens when a file is being transferred by WIFi it is continually shifting faster and slower and is never consistent. If you perform a file transfer, over and over and test the speed, you'll see it is never exactly the same.
Data transfer is never exactly the same each time, even on wired connections.
How do I know. Yeah the wankers that tell you that USB cables sound differently. Well it is true been there recently, but probably not for the reason of data itself but the power lines and ground reference issues in the cable affecting clocks down line. But digital transfer is never perfect. In fact, that thing called a Hard Drive. The error rates when it is being used is truly horrendous. But the file remains correct when it comes out BUT not when it is read!....through the miracle of error correction routines that is based on mathematical principles founded before any knew of computers. Bless those old time mathematicians and the electrical engineers who figured out how to exploit those principles. And you wondered why you were taught how to figure out things like infinite series and how useless was that right? See that cell phone....what about DSL on phone lines. Remember that thephone modem and max Baud rate was supposed to be 1200 bits per second! How far we have gone in so little time....mathematics.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
I think Mikling is referring to those in Audio forums that will tell you that digital audio data sent over the USB cable into a DAC can sound different with difference makes of cable, just as they have insisted that they can tell the difference between different types of speaker cable. It's a fact that even the slight difference in volume when auditioning equipment will make the whole system sound different to the human brain.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Yes, data sent over USB "can" indeed sound different, the simple answer is that the data reconstruction after it is sent is dependent on a couple things. The integrity of the data as well as the timing which affected by the power supplied to the circuitry down the line receiving it. The integrity is not as big an issue as one might think but the circuitry receiving it is dependent on the timing of the crystal clocking which is dependent on the purity of the power feeding it and that power is typically provided by the USB cable. USB power in computers is not what we call stable and quiet. Additionally, not all USB cables are constructed the same, the gauge of the wires, the number of twists and the shielding and grounding varies quite a bit. One of my better sounding cables was a high quality one that EPSON supplied with a printer. The better way is to power up a USB cable with its own high quality source of 5V, not from the computer. Like a powered USB hub but USB hub transformers are noisy. So make your own 5V.
At first glance it sounds crazy and being an engineer it sounds nuts but if you choose to believe it or not, it is your decision. When you are able to hear it on a resolving system, it is surprising and initially makes no sense. Once heard, you end up being sensitive to it. It is not generally the tonal character but the spatial presentation of the music.
As to speaker cables, my wife can hear it and I never told her what I did but she heard it and audio is the last thing on her mind. I've been at this hi end DIY hobby since the 70s and after 10+ years into it in a serious way, then I started to hear it. Don't bother trying on run of the mill equipment as that will only prove all wires sound the same. No argument there. The effect of masking on low resolution systems..

The USB thing was an eye opener till I peeled back the layers, did some experimenting and it all made sense. As to ethernet. I am still skeptical on that one just as I was even on USB before.

This is a printing forum, I only brought this up because the concept of sending data at high speeds is not as "clean and perfect" as most might think especially on wireless WIFI.

Now just think about this for a second, What happens if the transmission becomes slow due to interference to the point the printer can use it faster that it can receive it. Simple the printer then pauses and picks up again when it gets enough data to make a pass with the printhead. The images still comes out as it was meant to be. On a CD player we can't stop the sound. If there is a bad reading of the data off the CD, the circuitry will try to reconstruct the data that it needs immediately with intelligent guessing without pausing the sound. Sound is time sensitive in real time. So the system guesses and it keeps the show running. What is used is not exactly what was meant to be. That is only the start of the challenges faced by digital. The same issue faced by two systems but each system takes care of it in its own way.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Thanks for the explanations.

Great way to see if the slow issue is a system issue is to swap printers as I suggested. Then the process of narrowing down the cause can proceed.

Additionally, OP needs to provide a great deal of additional info as has been requested.

PS I knew a guy who claimed he heard colors after taking LSD. No cables required. :cool: