Canon Pixma Pro 100 or Epson SureColor P400?

MangoDew

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
N/A
@stratman In my area, I cannot find any stores or print shops that have anything on display to show the quality of each printer. It's a shame, as you would think they would have just a small sample of what the printers can do. As of now I am only going my videos and user experience, which of course can vary. Yeah dye inks are usually brighter but pigment inks last longer, depending on a lot of things, of course. Thanks for replying.

@Ink stained Fingers yes the paper is already pre-cut 12x12; I purchase it online or from a craft store. Depending where I purchase the paper, some papers are good for inkjet use. Epsons are great for 12x12 printing and I have decided to go with an Artisan 1430. I am still contemplating on the P400, but I have not seen the quality of the prints on any type of media. I have a feeling Epson is close to discontinuing the 1430 and this is why I would prefer to go on with the P400 since it is newer. Ugh, decisions, decisions. Thanks for the information, I appreciate it.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
only paper with inkjet coating will give you good color saturation, you need to check that. If you think the Artisan is on the phase out route just get one, Epson will have cartridges for a very long time for you in the future, there is not much risk. I'm running Epson oldies for more than 10-12 years with some service on my own but no big issue so far, and they run as well on Win 10. It's not just the printer to show a particular 'quality' but the combination of the printer, the inks and very much the paper as well - whatever you assume as 'quality' . When you properly profile a printer/ink/paper you'll find that dye and pigment printers are not far apart with their gamut. The visual appearance may be different e.g. matte vs. glossy papers, but that's exactly one of the reasons why you choose one paper type over the other.

Last edited:

MangoDew

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
N/A
@Ink stained Fingers I'm glad to know that Epson has cartridges for a while after a printer have phased out. Forgive me, but now I'm considering the P600. I found a site where the P400 and P600 are the same price, but I know the cost of ink cartridges are more with the P600. I know I will also be printing out black, gray, and white paper patterns as well, so the extra grays will help out with that.
Also, I have read about people using continuous ink systems (CISs) with their printers. I would love to do that, but I am afraid it may void the warranty if something happens to the printer I decide to buy.
We shall see. Thanks...