Canon Pixma Pro 1 (last 1 inch of print smeared)

Aidan

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 1
Hi Folks, May Canon Pixma Pro 1 which I had not used in some time is giving me problems. For smaller prints e.g. 5 x 7" or 4 x 6" I have no issues. For larger e.g. A4/Letter, it prints perfectly until very last one inch, them makes some noises and page starts to come out to one side and it smears. See attached. I am at a total loss what is wrong

Attachments

• IMG_2517.JPG
    IMG_2517.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 466

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hi @Aidan and welcome, That would suggest to me that a foreign object may have fallen into the paper path and is only affecting the larger paper sizes, I reckon its time to go looking on the left side of the paper path, try feeding plain paper in during examination...

Aidan

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 1
Thanks
Hi @Aidan and welcome, That would suggest to me that a foreign object may have fallen into the paper path and is only affecting the larger paper sizes, I reckon its time to go looking on the left side of the paper path, try feeding plain paper in during examination...
Thanks for the swift reply "The Hat". Definitely nothing in paper path. Curious why you said left hand side as there was a pool of ink on the sponge pads on left hand side which I swabbed up. Now the issue seems to be front rollers jam and I simply get a band across the last 0.5". See attached, I think I have made it worse

Attachments

• IMG_2520.JPG
    IMG_2520.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 434

Aidan

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 1
Strange, if I print with border (that is larger than 0.5"), I have no issues. Is there a limitation on the size of borderless printing on the Pixma Pro-1

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Aidan, If your printing borderless then all bets are off, the Pro 1 doesn’t do borderless very well, despite it saying it does, in fact most printers fail on the last 1.5 cm, borderless is froth with problems while printing large heavy paper stock, shorten the front tray and let the paper drop can also help...

I wouldn’t recommend using borderless any more, because that’s where your getting the ink puddling from, it makes a terrible mess inside on the platen area and can build up and bung up some of the small little roller wheels in there.

It’s just not worth it for the amount of expensive paper you can waste, better to use oversized paper and trim the print later, besides all the best prints are done and look better with borders, it’s got to be remembered the printer can’t hold the paper straight for the last 2.5 cm especially if the leading edges are binding on something out front..

Aidan

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 1
Thanks again "The Hat" I think issue is solved. Changing the paper type allowed me successfully print borderless. However, I am going to take your advice and print on larger paper and trim. There was an absolute mess on left hand side. Many thanks for your assistance