Canon Pixma MX895 refilling 525/526 or 520/521

Willybobz

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi,

I am trying my hand at top filling 525/526 cartridges, I have read page after page on this Forum and decided that Top filling OEM cartridges with Octoinkjet ink would be most suitable for me.

However at my first attempt I have managed to "overfill" and the ink actually started to expel through the Vent Matrix ( I understand that this is not good), so, here is my question, if I purge and Underfill these cartridges will the Ink level indicator still work as if it were filled to the correct level. The reason that I ask is because I am worried that if I reset the chip then I believe that it would register as if it were a full cartridge, I do not want to run the printer like this if there is a chance that it could "run dry" through under filling and possibly damage the print head.

I have just ordered a set of scales as I think that maybe re filling by weight could be more suitable to me.

Regards

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Must admit I'm a little curious as to how you managed to fill the vent matrix as well but here's a couple of tips on how you might avoid this in future.

1. Do an initial fill to the usual 70% or so (by weight if that works for you).
2. Seal the vent matrix with a little tape at this point
3. Continue refilling until the ink appears at the refill hole, then release the squeeze on the bottle so some ink is drawn back into the bottle. Just enough to allow the ink level to drop below the fill hole
4. Seal up the fill hole and remove vent seal.
5. Remove the orange clip and stand horizontal over a sink or suitable ink catch surface, for a minute or so (be careful not to squeeze the sides!)
6. If there's no dripping from the outlet port, flip the cartridge over drip a little ink into the outlet port sponge
7. Flip back over and stand for a bit longer as per 5.
8. Replace clip or put cartridge in the printer.

As to the rest of your query...

There's a secondary ink detection system built into the Pixma printers that uses a prism in the cart to detect when the spongeless tank part of the cartridge is empty. This should detect when the ink has run out at this point and trigger a low ink warning before indicating empty when it calculates the sponge has been drained. So, theoretically you should be ok with refilling slightly less.

As for the overfilled cart, purging may not be necessary but I would definitely blow down the vent to push any ink out of there as soon as possible. Whatever you do, you'll want to keep an eye on output from that cartridge/colour just to be sure there isn't still a blockage of any kind. If you're vigilant you should be fine.

Hope that helps and doubtless others will chip in.

Martin

Willybobz

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi Martin,

Thank you for your speedy response, and solutions, I feel so relieved to hear about the secondary "Prism" for ink level detection. I think that I may have not been patient enough whilst re filling! Also, it actually happened on the Pigment Black which worried me even more. I also filled with both vents open and obviously "forced" it from the ink chamber right up to the top of the sponge chamber!

I have some 520/521 as well to try out. Maybe these will be easier.

Regards

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Whatever you do... take your time and walk away if you start getting frustrated.. It's easy to find yourself in a head to head challenge but like so many frustrated toddlers you'll not win by going at them full bore. Best to step back and rethink...

You'll get to grips with it easy enough I wouldn't worry...