Canon Pixma MX870 - 'ink absorber pad almost full'

GMoze

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX870
This message came up yesterday. Searching online, I understand that Canon diabolically includes planned obsolescence in their printers, not realizing that switching out an old printer doesn't happen in a vacuum and, in my case means I would need to buy a new computer too.

Searching this forum didn't yield info. for my printer. I was about ready to try to clean the pads myself, but on hearing that I will also need to reset the count using a tool that only works with a PC, I'm starting to lose my gumption. So many ways for things to go wrong here.

I'd like to find video, photos or diagrams that show where these pads are on my MX870, and I'd like to know if I can reset the count without using a PC. Thank you for any forthcoming links, instructions, advice. My printer has a lot of life left, except for this 'sword of Damocles', as another user of this forum described their ink absorber pad problem (different Canon model but was able to use a PC).

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Welcome to the forum, GMoze.

You may be able to reset the counter for the ink absorbers, but you will need to have the printer installed on a computer. Yes, the computer may need to be a PC and not Mac. Then you use a combination or button pushes on the printer to enter Service Mode. Then you use a Service Tool software to reset the waste ink counter.

Here are instructions alleged to be for your printer:

https://easyfixs.blogspot.com/2019/09/how-to-reset-canon-pixma-mx870-mx876.html

The expert on this forum concerning Service Tools is @PeterBJ . He may be able to help guide the best Service Tool version available for your printer. There is a huge thread on the topic of Service Tools in the forum.

Two web sites that offer Service Tools and/or instructions are

https://easyfixs.blogspot.com/search/label/Canon Service Tool

http://fix-your-printer.blogspot.com/

Our Fearless Moderator created a thread to help guide users new to the ways of Service Tools with some general instructions/descriptions at

https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/canon-service-tool-instructions.10631/

There may be a Service Manual available somewhere concerning location or instructions on how to get to the ink absorber pads, Canon does not make this task easy. There are many steps to get to the pads. To ensure proper re-assembly your should photograph EVERY STEP and keep each removed part separate and marked/numbered. Wear gloves and clean absorbers outside or you may be heading for a divorce from the mess.

Another consideration is that the ink absorber pads may not overflow on the first waste ink reset. (All bets are off after a second reset) If you want to chance this then set the printer on a tray so that if any ink leaks it will be contained and not stain furniture or floor.

GMoze

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX870
Hi Stratman - Thank you so much for the quick reply. After reading your response, I did locate a service manual online and found some instructions. However, it clearly illustrates I am out of my league on this one. Eleven pages with multiple photographs per page, it is quite clear info. for someone who knows what they're doing, but you basically have to disassemble the entire printer to get at those pads. The several Youtube tutorials I looked at (different Canon models) showed unscrewing a couple screws to get at the pads just under where the ink carriage rests. i need to take a breath and reconsider my options. Super bummed, it's really bad timing.

I really appreciate your help.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
YW.

You do not have to clean the waste ink pads, but you will need to reset the waste ink counter at some point and, IMO, use a tray of some sort under the printer if/when ink leaks (which could be quite a while).

All in all, a new printer, maybe a Canon Maxify***, is in your future.

Let us know what you decide.

***Canon Maxify are great All In One small office / home office (SOHO) printers with large capacity ink cartridges. The other major difference, beside speed, is photo image reproduction is not as good as your MX870, but certainly good for its intended purpose - a SOHO printer.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
@GMoze If you decide to follow stratman's advise and reset the ink absorber counter, I can find links to a safe download of a suitable service tool and the instruction to do the reset.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Here is the instruction:

The MX870 is of the PGI-x20/CLI-x21 cartridge generation, so Service Tool v3400 is suitable. It is found as a .rar archive in this post by @CakeHole . If you cannot unpack a .rar archive, the same file can be downloaded as a .zip archive from this Russian site. Scroll down to post #13 by "Sir Sava". Both downloads are safe. I have tested them with AVG Internet Security and Malwarebytes Antimalware, free version.

According to the service manual for the MX870 the procedure to enter service mode is the one with pressing the Stop/resume button five times, so this instruction is suitable the MX870.

Last edited:

GMoze

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX870
Great information PeterBJ and stratman; I really appreciate it. I'm going to ask around locally and see if I can find someone with a PC and the know-how to do this for me, because the stakes are too high for me to bumble around with it by myself.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Good luck. Let us know how things go.

Grazer5

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100, Ricoh Pro 7100S
Good luck! I sent some of our Pro-100’s to the local Canon service center to have the pads replaced and they said they couldn’t get the parts! This, from a factory service center!

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
If you cannot find replacement waste ink pads such as on eBay, you can wash the waste ink pads in soapy water and reinstall while still moist. When dry the pads may be shrunken and not stretch to fit properly.

The trick is to access Service Mode and then photograph and number every step in the dismantling to get to the pads so you can then follow the proper way back to re-assembly.