Canon PIXMA MP780 wasting ink

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
When set to duplex the black pigmented ink is not used - the dye-based inks are used for black printing in duplex mode. If you want to use the really black pigmented ink you will need to set the printer to plain paper and "manually" duplex.

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Fotofreek, I found this statement of yours not correct. I finally picked up a MP780 from Fry's Electronics for a decent price recently. I have printed over several hundred pages of text documents double sided in duplex mode. My documents have some colored text in them so all CMY ink were used but the ink in the BCI-3ebk has been used the most. I have refilled it many more times over the CMY. The BCI-6BK is the one used the least so far. The MP780 is a fabulous printer by the way. I printed a shot of about 30 pages yesterday in duplex mode. I simply started it up and walked away. When I finally returned a stack of neatly printed document is done.

I found one thing interesting about this printer. The text printed by the pigmented ink is not as black as I used to get from my ip8500 which uses dye based black ink for text. I printed a text page with single sided text on it and it is obvious that dye black ink is blacker than pigmented black ink. Pigmented black ink looks gray actually. My 8500 prints text beautifully. It looks really nicer than the print from 780. My 8500 is way more expensive than 780 so I will be using the 780 for text printing mostly leaving all photos to 8500.