Canon Pixma MP780 or HP OfficeJet 7210 Advice Please ?

Kram

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Just looking for some advice on whats the better way for me to go?
Like whats going to cost me less to operate ink and have less problems with print heads clogging ?

I do very little Photo printing just need for a small home bizness printing maybe about 300 invoices a month a few copies and fax here and there.

The MP780 is like $155 shipped from Outpsot.com after $100 rebate

The HP7210 is $204 shipped from Amazon below link if you punch in the code "SAVEHPPRNTER" and they even take another $30 off if you apply for a Amazon card i think

Any Advice please
Thanks

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007GCRYO/103-5768958-6676667?n=172282

fish

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I have the HP7210 - great scanner and good printer. I have an older HP all-in-one and the improvements made are substantial. I pruchased this when I needed to replace a fax, but could not get the Canon MP780 because of the change in their product line.

If ink costs are an issue (always are), I would get the 780 without question. Cartridges are simple to refill (I have been refilling my other printers for several years). Newer printers are being made to discourage refilling. One good thing about the 7210 is that the cartridges (96 and 97) have a larger capacity than the cheaper unit (5610?) - Don't even consider the 5610 because of the small cartridge ($$$).

In all fairness although I wanted the 780, the 7210 is performing well with no problems.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
My primary reason for avoiding HPs after having used 4 different models between 1996 and 2004 is the device drivers. HP fails to understand that Javascript is not a language to be used in device drivers and device drivers for scanners and printers that require 500 MB means that they are badly written. Canon drivers are sleek, well written and they work in a very unified way with the Windows printer driver model.

HPs as not as reliable as Canons. If you try to print large duplex documents (such as PDF books) you'll find that HPs often misfeed paper. spoiling an entire ream of paper and expensive ink.

HPs are also noisier.

Until a few months ago I thought that HPs were easier to refill than Canons, but after I streamlined my methods I came to the conclusion (like most others in this forum) that nothing beats a Canon for refilling. However, I still believe that HPs are easier to refill for inexperienced users because a serious error would only mean that you get a new cartridge, not a new printhead.

HPs require cartridge swapping to produce photos. If you print photos and text (which an MFC user would normally do) that is really cumbersome. Canons produce photos of equal or better quality without swapping and with less colors because they have smaller nozzles.

Canons combine two different paper feeding options.

Canons allow for direct CD printing. (USA users need to buy an inexpensive CD platter from ebay and fiddle a bit with the internal printer settings, but its very easy)

As far as cheapo printers are concerned, HP could be an interesting choice. But if you get on the "more serious" field of MFCs, Canons are clearly a better choice. The MP780 is a legendary MFC which you should definitely buy at such a low price. I would (although I already have one) if I could get it at such a price where I live :(