Canon Pixma MP780 colors running blue (pictures)

j0dan

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks leo8088. I just figured ink was ink. Should have known better. :)

The packaging and materials on my recent batch were almost identical to OEM. They had the same orange cap, same sealed plastic bag.

Is it possible to buy something like Hobbicolors already inside a cartridge?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
One of the reasons that Canon OEM cartridges are superior to compatibles is that there are two different sponge materials in them whereas most if not all compatibles only have one. The bottom one is designed to carry the ink from the hole at the bottom of the reservoir to the outlet port. The upper one is designed to carry air from the vent at the top of the cartridge, down to groves along the wall that separates the two chambers, and down to the hole at the bottom of the wall. This air replaces the ink that seeps out. Without correct air flow in the top sponge and correct ink flow in the bottom sponge, you will not get correct printing.

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Ghwellsjr is absolutely right that OEM cartridges are designed to give optimal ink flows the way he described it. One comment to add is the sponge is made of specific material with a capillarity characteristic to accomplish the correct ink flow. Generic ink cartridges are probably not designed to be anywhere near all these.

I don't know if Hobbicolors sells prefilled ink cartridges (OEM carts). Why don't you refill youself. It's the way to go. The learning curve is not very long. This forum is a tremendous resource and it is free.

j0dan

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all your help. I'll have to look at some alternatives to what I'm doing now. Cheers!