Canon Pixma MP620 error message

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Filling your cartridge with Windex is not a good idea, the flow rate is far too high (Viscosity)
and could damage your print head plus buying another one is the last thing you want to do.
Im not the best person to suggest you pull apart your printer and have a go at the purge unit. :hide
but it might save you further time, expense and hair loss at this stage, it will be a great learning curve.

If you do decide, then take pictures as you go along step by step that way youll know where all the little screws need to be put back too,
just be prepared to get dirty the purge unit is very messy, but easy.
Rubber gloves are not great to wear while you disassemble the printer but are essential when you reach the purge unit.. :ya

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
The Hat said:
Filling your cartridge with Windex is not a good idea, the flow rate is far too high (Viscosity)
and could damage your print head plus buying another one is the last thing you want to do.
Im not the best person to suggest you pull apart your printer and have a go at the purge unit. :hide
but it might save you further time, expense and hair loss at this stage, it will be a great learning curve.

If you do decide, then take pictures as you go along step by step that way youll know where all the little screws need to be put back too,
just be prepared to get dirty the purge unit is very messy, but easy.
Rubber gloves are not great to wear while you disassemble the printer but are essential when you reach the purge unit.. :ya
That confuses me a bit, I thought the idea of adding Windex (Morrison's) window cleaner to an empty cart was the original idea of a cleaning cart. The Windex dilutes the remainder of ink in the sponge and will still show some colour on printing nozzle checks. I saw a post by ghwellsjr proposing this technique.

Anyway it did not make any difference, soaked head for several hours in the cleaner yesterday and left it overnight to dry. On close inspection with as magnifying glass I noticed that the sintered metal inlet screen on magenta had a couple of small creases in it and there was still a trace of colour, although the colour came off with a stiff brush. It did not appear as smooth as all the other colours. Loaded head and all colours but again no Magenta

Whilst the purge pipes idea has merit, how come only 1 colour is effected?. Looks like another printer bites the dust.

Whilst looking for a possible replacement/spare head I saw on E-bay an Epson factory refurb. Expression Premium 600 for 50. I do not know whether that is the same model of carts that Mikling is testing with very easy filling capabilities.

Will keep posts of any improvement

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
5268_nozzle-check-12-07-13-1140.jpg
5268_material-purple.jpg

The Hat, Tom Hock and others success at last I HOPE

The attached images are following another head clean in warm water until all water ran clear. Then got some hot water in a syringe and pushed/pulled in my needle scabbard fitted to the magenta pickup, the water coloured a bit, not massive but hopeful. Emptied water and tried a fresh lot but no further colour came out.

Dried cart, re-installed nozzle check perfect no additional cleaning cycles, copied some coloured quiting squares and they were also fine.

I got the idea of the push/pull technique from Grandad35 post 183 25/08/2012 re dismantling the print head.

I also followed on his idea of the 2 columns and fluid then ran as freely through the magenta as the yellow, only a few seconds for a 2" height.

Thanks again for everybodys suggestions, very pleased I did not try and take printer apart to check purge pipe connections.