Canon Pixma MG2455 Flashes 7 Times

erik

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG2455
I have a Canon Pixma MG2455. I changed the color cartridge and now the green power light and the orange warning light flash alternately seven times, then pause and repeat. The error indicates that one or more ink tanks are installed incorrectly but I checked this and they look OK so I suspect a hardware fault. The machine will not print.

Here are some of the things that I have tried in my unsuccessful attempts to clear the error:

- Removing and reinserting the cartridges
- Inserting two old cartridges (black and white / color) that worked before but are now empty
- Turning the printer off and on.
- Turning the printer off, disconnecting the power supply and the USB cable, then reconnecting it and turning it back on
- Turning the printer on with the USB cable disconnected
- Turning the printer off, removing both ink cartridges, turning the printer back on with no cartridges inserted

No matter what I do, I get the same result described above - seven flashes, pause, repeat.

Some other minor details that might be relevant:

- The black and white cartridge is the PG-545XL manufactured by Canon
- The color cartridge is the CL-546 manufactured by Canon
- My operating system is ubuntu 20.04

Any idea what I am doing wrong? I would be grateful for any assistance.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Any idea what I am doing wrong? I would be grateful for any assistance.
The only information I have on your issue is your waste ink absorber pads might be full, and if so then the printer wont print anymore..

The other is the front paper tray may not to fully open (Extended), try closing it and then reopening, if that not the problem then its most likely your waste inks pads, sorry..

erik

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG2455
Are you saying that the printer is dead? Or is it possible to recover from this error?

I found the incantation to clear the error: With the machine off, press and hold reset, press and hold power, release reset, hit reset 5 times. This results in a steady green light but the laptop can't see the printer. If I turn the printer off and on again, it goes back to flashing 7 times as before.

I opened the printer up, removed the pads, cleaned them, dried them, put everything back together. Unfortunately this did not resolve the problem. Anything else I can try?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
If you can enter Service Mode then a Service Tool is used to reset the waste ink absorber counter.

The MG24xx series is considered a "disposable" printer per several eBay pages that sell Service Tools. Service Tools do not work on these types of printers.

Your MG2455 is finished.

Last edited:

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Just to respond the confusion regards waste ink on Canon vs' Epson, there's a huge difference in design, capability and complexity involved.

Short version is that Canon (with a few limited exceptions) require massive amounts of disassembly to access the waste ink tubes and also to reset the waste ink counter. The latter assumes you even manage to locate one of the official service utilities required to reset the printer.. oh and make sure it's the right one. The only real exceptions so far are the Canon Megatank models which have far more readily accessible waste tubes and for whom the WICReset tool does work (to date).

For Epsons it's a whole other story where they are moving slowly over to maintenance boxes for most printers but the ET-2720 is apparently not considered worth enough of one. So, the older versions with replaceable "porous pad assembly" units (basically pad in a box) and the WICReset to reset the waste ink counter. Epsons wasted a LOT more ink that Canon printers historically so the focus has been Epson for the last 20 or so years as a result.

Hopefully that'll clarify the confusion there.

erik

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG2455
Ah, that makes more sense. That's a huge help, many thanks. I will probably order the ET-2710, I'll report back once I have it up and running.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Just to respond the confusion regards waste ink on Canon vs' Epson, there's a huge difference in design, capability and complexity involved.

Short version is that Canon (with a few limited exceptions) require massive amounts of disassembly to access the waste ink tubes and also to reset the waste ink counter. The latter assumes you even manage to locate one of the official service utilities required to reset the printer.. oh and make sure it's the right one. The only real exceptions so far are the Canon Megatank models which have far more readily accessible waste tubes and for whom the WICReset tool does work (to date).

For Epsons it's a whole other story where they are moving slowly over to maintenance boxes for most printers but the ET-2720 is apparently not considered worth enough of one. So, the older versions with replaceable "porous pad assembly" units (basically pad in a box) and the WICReset to reset the waste ink counter. Epsons wasted a LOT more ink that Canon printers historically so the focus has been Epson for the last 20 or so years as a result.

Hopefully that'll clarify the confusion there.
Indeed, most Canon printers reach end of life for other reasons than a full waste ink counter.
But on some larger models (PRO-9500, PRO-10, Maxify) the purge tubes are rather easily accessible and can be guided into an external container (aka potty).